AquaClear Filter Owners Wanted...

Status
Not open for further replies.

AspiringAquarist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I was reading over the intervals that you should change the filter media inserts on AquaClear filters, and it says that the foam should be replaced every 2 months, the carbon every month, and the BioMax every 3 months.

However, they also tell you that you should never replace all filter inserts at the same time because it damages the biological bacteria.

I got the filter on 2/19 and I need to change the foam insert soon. But just last month on around 3/19 I changed the carbon, so I need to change the carbon again this month. That means I'll be changing both the carbon and the foam insert at the same time, which I'm afraid will damage the bacteria...can anyone help please?

Oh and also, if they tell you to replace the BioMax every 3 months, that means that on the 6th month, you'll need to replace all the medias... help?

AlyeskaGirl

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
All you need to do is rinse the foam in a bucket of tank water to get the gunk off, no reason to replace the foam untill it starts to fall apart. that is correct never replace all media at the same time. OK to rinse biomax pack in bucket of tank water too. Foam dose provide a place for bacteria to grow but the foams job is too catch debris. As for the biomax, I just rinse them in tank water as well and I don't replace until the pores start to look clogged as that takes awhile.

OP
A

AspiringAquarist

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
But if you keep on rinsing the foam in tank water until it falls apart, wouldn't the foam stop working as effectively since you keep on recycling it over and over?

cm11599ps

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
They tell you to replace the foam and biomax because they want to sell more product - its as simple as that.
Yep. Simply rinse the spo0nge in a bucket of tank water. You can use those over and over again. Biomax can go longer too.

The intervals also depend on how many/what type of fish you have and your feeding habits too. The greater number of fish/messier fish require you to change out more often.

I don't follow any timelines, I just kind of look at it to see if it needs changing.

pepetj

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I see no real good reason to replace a good seeded sponge and bio-ceramic media. I have the original sponge and bio-ceramic media in all of my AquaClear filters. They are working just fine, I recently replaced impellers in most of them (I figure reasonable that impellers wear down after 2 years of continuous use).

Activated charcoal I replace every 3 weeks.

Pepetj
Santo Domingo

claudicles

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
But if you keep on rinsing the foam in tank water until it falls apart, wouldn't the foam stop working as effectively since you keep on recycling it over and over?
You have to think about how the filter component works to understand how often to change it. Carbon absorbs chemical so it can become saturated therefore needed replacing. Biomax is a just a large porous surface which allows lots of Beneficial Bacteria to grow on it. The reason to replace it would be if the available surface area reduces, like if it gets clogged. The sponge in just an open weave structure which traps large debris. When it starts to crumble the pores will effectively get bigger so it won't work so well. If you keep washing the debris out until that happens there is no reason it won't keep trapping it.

Aquarist

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Good morning.

Some great suggestions above. I have filter media that is over 10 years old in different filters. Be sure to rinse in siphoned tank water only and never tap. I rinse my filter media only when I see the flow from the filter diminish. Chlorine will kill the bacteria. Use your media until it's falling apart, sponges and bio max. Change carbon every 3 to 4 weeks as it loses it's effectiveness.

Ken

B

Borisbbadd

I've been using the same sponge and bio-max for a couple years now, and they are working great.

Like everyone has said, just rinse them in tank water and you will be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom