Aquaclear Filter Makes Splashing/dripping Sound?

AnglerTheStrangler
Hi,

One of my Aquaclear 20 Filters is doing something weird. About every 8 hours or so it starts making this water dripping/swishing sound. I have it baffled for my Betta Fish so usually I don’t here any sound of water except when this happens. What I do to temporarily fix this issue is unplug and plug it back in until it makes a sucking sound like it does when you Prime the filter and no more sound. About 8 hours later it starts again. Anybody have any tips. I know it sounds like not a big deal but it’s driving me mad. Lol

GettinTanked
Is it a new filter?
If you've had it for a while and haven't given it a good cleaning, I would try that. Take off the intake tube, make sure nothing's clogged, etc.
If it is new I'd exchange it. My aquaclear 30 never makes a peep.

SegiDream
ok following. Mine has been doing something similar for 2 nights, it sounds just like a dribbling rush of water sound. And it's inconsistent. I actually woke up on time this morning to fiddle with it. Filters clean, that's not my filters issue at the moment.

Bearwithfish
1st thing to check is that the impeller is clean and free of obstructions.

if that does not work look for any cracks or other ways that air can get into the water up-take tube. Cracks or holes that are typically covered up and then suddenly let in air will do this.

AnglerTheStrangler
Is it a new filter?
If you've had it for a while and haven't given it a good cleaning, I would try that. Take off the intake tube, make sure nothing's clogged, etc.
If it is new I'd exchange it. My aquaclear 30 never makes a peep.

I’ve had it for quite awhile. So just clean the intake tube?

1st thing to check is that the impeller is clean and free of obstructions.

if that does not work look for any cracks or other ways that air can get into the water up-take tube. Cracks or holes that are typically covered up and then suddenly let in air will do this.

Isn’t it strange though that it stops doing it after I unplug and plug back in? It’s also strange that it starts doing it again every 8 hours or so.. any thoughts?

Bearwithfish
sometimes these machines get finicky without any real rhyme or reason. could be just overheating and then slowing down. your unplugging and replugging it in may just reset whatever is causing the issue.

AnglerTheStrangler
sometimes these machines get finicky without any real rhyme or reason. could be just overheating and then slowing down. your unplugging and replugging it in may just reset whatever is causing the issue.

Ok thank you. Is there anything else I can try?

Bearwithfish
Were it me (and it is not) I would put th media in the tank. Unplug the filter, remove it from the tank and tear it down as far as you can without any tools. clean each part with clean water (be sure to get into that hole for the impeller) and then reassemble.

Once back on the tank see if you run into the same thing in the next 24 hours - few days. if it comes back you may just need a new filter. if not you found it

AnglerTheStrangler
So my Aquaclear20 is really being a pain. It’s been making a water sloshing around noise and I tried everything to fix it besides change the motor. I replaced the intake tube and cleaned everything and the water sloshing sound is still there. Also, When I turn the flow rate all the way to the left(max flow) the water in the filter backs up so far it’s pretty much coming out the top. Anybody know what’s going on here?

75g Discus Tank
Try washing the media in old tank water.

It happens to all of my filters when the media is disgusting.

AnglerTheStrangler

Are any of your filters Aquaclears? Just curious.. I cleaned the sponge so I don’t think it’s that. The only thing I can think that it is would be the carbon. I haven’t changed it in quite some time but I’m worries to change it now because people say it holds a lot of Beneficial Bacteria. What do you recommend?

Sorry, got another question. Could it have anything to do with it not being level? I just realized it not level and tilted back..

Ok so I leveled it out and it looks like it fixed the water level issue and the sloshing. If I listen really closely once in a while I can still here like a water trickle but that might just be from the water outtake..

75g Discus Tank
I’m about to get me first Aquaclear, but in general, all of my filters start doing similar things when the media gets clogged.

AnglerTheStrangler
I’m about to get me first Aquaclear, but in general, all of my filters start doing similar things when the media gets clogged.

Ok thank you. What about the leveling out? It seemed to help. Do you think because the filter was tilted backward that was part of the problem?

75g Discus Tank
Ok thank you. What about the leveling out? It seemed to help. Do you think because the filter was tilted backward that was part of the problem?
Probably. The water level wasn’t even in the filter.

AnglerTheStrangler
Probably. The water level wasn’t even in the filter.

What do you mean? The water level wasn’t in the filter? I don’t understand..

Wraithen
Yes, level is very important. My foot broke on my ac110 and the water started flowing out the back instead of the filter. I keep a sponge jammed in between the filter and the tank now to keep it level.

75g Discus Tank
What do you mean? The water level wasn’t in the filter? I don’t understand..
Oh sorry that came across wrong...

What I meant was the water level wasn’t the same in all parts of the filter when the filter was uneven.

AnglerTheStrangler
Yes, level is very important. My foot broke on my ac110 and the water started flowing out the back instead of the filter. I keep a sponge jammed in between the filter and the tank now to keep it level.

Ok thanks for the info. Now I’m having a new issue. This things driving me crazy! I might start a new thread about it but was seeing if you might know. It’s making kind of like a grinding noise. It’s not very loud at all it’s noticeable though. The weird thing is when I turn the flow rate up all the way it goes away or gets quieter. Any idea what this could be?

Wraithen
Ok thanks for the info. Now I’m having a new issue. This things driving me crazy! I might start a new thread about it but was seeing if you might know. It’s making kind of like a grinding noise. It’s not very loud at all it’s noticeable though. The weird thing is when I turn the flow rate up all the way it goes away or gets quieter. Any idea what this could be?
Take it apart and make sure the impeller is clean and seated correctly. Mine does that when it leans too much also. Also ensure the power cord and back of the filter aren't vibrating off anything.

AnglerTheStrangler
Hello,

So I’ve been having issues with my Aquaclear filter and I’ve tried everything to fix it. I think it’s time to just replace the whole thing. If I take my seeded media and transfer it in a new Aquaclear will I have any adverse effects as far as cycle goes? Thanks.

mattgirl
You should be fine. There is some bacteria on the filter housing but most of it is on the media so it shouldn't affect your cycle at all. I actually had to replace one of my HOB filters a couple of weeks ago and all is well.

AnglerTheStrangler
You should be fine. There is some bacteria on the filter housing but most of it is on the media so it shouldn't affect your cycle at all. I actually had to replace one of my HOB filters a couple of weeks ago and all is well.

Ok awesome. Yeah from what I know there’s good bac. all through out the tank(gravel,decor, etc.) and along with the already seeded media I don’t think it would do anything. I only have the one fish in there too so.. just want to get some feedback. Thank you!

Take it apart and make sure the impeller is clean and seated correctly. Mine does that when it leans too much also. Also ensure the power cord and back of the filter aren't vibrating off anything.

Well the only reason I don’t think it’s the impeller/motor is because when the flow rate knob is push so the water flow rate is faster it becomes quite.. something about having it on low water flow is making a nasty sound.. Also when you say lean, do you mean leveling out the filter? Cause I leveled it out recently so the filter isn’t tilted if that’s what you mean.

Wraithen
It could be the impeller is barely seated, increasing the flow could be seating it closer to the correct point.

I was just listing all the reasons mine does it. Btw, you might as well buy a new impeller soon. They're only good for 18 months or so according to Hagen now.

Buganjimo
Mine did the same thing when I first got it, but it doesn’t anymore. How long have you had it? Some go through a ‘breaking in period’ although do check the impeller to make sure it’s in the right place and such.

AnglerTheStrangler
It could be the impeller is barely seated, increasing the flow could be seating it closer to the correct point.

I was just listing all the reasons mine does it. Btw, you might as well buy a new impeller soon. They're only good for 18 months or so according to Hagen now.

Just the impeller needs replacing or the whole motor and impeller?

AquaPro247
Mine did this too. Try switching the flow mode (slide the intake tube over to the right to slow down the flow) then switch it make to normal. This might help

Jocelyn Adelman
Carbon is meant to be replaced, not to hold your BB. That is what your bio media is for.

Have you actually removed and cleaned the impeller? I would try that before anything else.

I love my aquaclears, but like any other filter they require maintenance to get it a “well oiled machine”

Dirty impeller area, dirty media, uneven filter.... all of these cause easily fixable issues

AnglerTheStrangler
Carbon is meant to be replaced, not to hold your BB. That is what your bio media is for.

Have you actually removed and cleaned the impeller? I would try that before anything else.

I love my aquaclears, but like any other filter they require maintenance to get it a “well oiled machine”

Dirty impeller area, dirty media, uneven filter.... all of these cause easily fixable issues

Thank you for the feedback. I’m going to try cleaning the impeller today. I have a brand new one I bought just to have on hand, maybe I’ll just replace it. As far as the carbon goes.. do you think it would be ok to switch it out. My only concern is it’s been in there for a awhile and I’ve heard people say that it can house a significant amount of BB. Does the Bio Media have enough that replacing the carbon won’t effect my cycle? It’s a well established tank that’s been running for about a year and a half.

Buganjimo
Does the Bio Media have enough that replacing the carbon won’t effect my cycle? It’s a well established tank that’s been running for about a year and a half.

Carbon barley has any BB, the bio media and sponges will hold the most bacteria.

AnglerTheStrangler
Carbon barley has any BB, the bio media and sponges will hold the most bacteria.

Ok so you don’t think replacing the carbon will effect my cycle? Even if it’s been in there for awhile? My bio media and sponge should be sufficient right?

Jocelyn Adelman
Carbon after time will leach back impurities, main reason why it should be switched often. I don’t use carbon in my tanks so I might be off on time, but should be new every 30days I believe... just don’t quote me on that.

Buganjimo
Carbon after time will leach back impurities, main reason why it should be switched often. I don’t use carbon in my tanks so I might be off on time, but should be new every 30days I believe... just don’t quote me on that.
Nope. You can change it whenever, it won’t effect your cycle

mattgirl
Carbon isn't necessary to keep a tank healthy. It does have its uses such as clearing out medications or absorbing odors if they are present.

Personally I would replace the carbon with more sponge/fiber media or ceramic balls or rings.

AnglerTheStrangler

Yeah I was reading up on it and saw something about the leaching impurities. Some people were saying that it’s not true. Be interesting to find a source or study where it’s been proven..

AquaticJ
Make sure it's not just "level" but has a slight tilt forward. Also, make sure that the tube is correctly over the impeller, it should be touching and directly over the impeller hole when on "full" flow (or all the way left). I'm constantly changing carbon, sponges, polyfiber in all my tanks, and leave the bio media alone. Never have I ever had any tank uncycle. I would give you $1000 if changing your carbon had any effect on your cycle.

AnglerTheStrangler
Make sure it's not just "level" but has a slight tilt forward. Also, make sure that the tube is correctly over the impeller, it should be touching and directly over the impeller hole when on "full" flow (or all the way left). I'm constantly changing carbon, sponges, polyfiber in all my tanks, and leave the bio media alone. Never have I ever had any tank uncycle. I would give you $1000 if changing your carbon had any effect on your cycle.

Thank you for your help. Even if the carbon has been in there awhile? I’ll still be ok?

AquaticJ
Yes, carbon is a bad place for bacteria to settle, so most of them go to bio media and sponges. You have my word. You have plenty of bacteria that can double in a 24 hour period.

Jocelyn Adelman
Agreed

AnglerTheStrangler
Yes, carbon is a bad place for bacteria to settle, so most of them go to bio media and sponges. You have my word. You have plenty of bacteria that can double in a 24 hour period.

I really appreciate your help. I don’t know why I get so anxious when it comes to removing stuff. Feel better about it now so I appreciate that. You think I should just go with another sponge or another bag of Bio instead of carbon?

AquaticJ

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
NightShade
Replies
Views
wrs2
  • Question
Replies
Views
Arvil