AquaClear Doesn't Fit Tank

1. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

Hi Fishlore,
    So I just received my AquaClear 70 in the mail and it doesn't fit my 75g Marineland rim! As you can see in the picture, it "fits" on the outer edge, but doesn't seem too secure. Is the filter supposed to fit this way, or do I need to cut my rim somehow? I'm puzzled as to why it isn't made wider.

P.S If I do need to cut, how would I go about doing it?[​IMG]

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I think if you took a hot nail(heat it up Intill it turns red) and melt the rim might work.or mabye you can take a hacksaw and try to cut some of it away.

3. MinhMai Member Member

A utility knife should work. Just slowly trace the same lines until it cuts through. Looks like you only need to take off a part of the inside lip. Can use sand paper to grind down an uneven spot.

4. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

I need to cut a little slit, a square part for the side of the filter in the picture, and a semicircle for the filter tube....I don't think I'm going to void my warranty, just in case worst comes to worst. I guess I'll try to convince my parents to help me pay for an Eheim, considering I just spent the majority of my money on my hardscape :( . Ugh I am so disappointed with AquaClear, I have a 50 that has worked great for over a year now, but I guess they did a re-design and now it won't fit over my rim.

5. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I think a utility knife might have trouble with the plastic.

6. MinhMai Member Member

I used a utility knife to cut the entire back side off my 10 gallon's hood. It took like 10 slices with pressure for each cut.

Instead of cutting individual slots for everything just cut one big slot off the inside lip that fits the whole filter.

7. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

So this wouldn't affect the support from the trim?

8. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

I think that as long as you're not cutting the entire rim, and only the shelf part of it, it won't affect the support.

9. happygolucky Well Known Member Member

I've decided not to cut, I'd be too worried about cracking the plastic as I'm cutting, I'm not very handy. My parents have agreed to buy a canister, but I won't have any money for a while now....The things I do for this hobby lol!

10. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I would think of you melted it off of wouldn't crack.