Aquaclear + Aquasoil = Cloudy Water

Discussion in 'Cloudy Aquarium Water' started by BlackOsprey, Aug 25, 2019.

1. BlackOsprey

BlackOspreyWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +311
    Even on its lowest setting, this aquaclear 20's flow is pretty strong. My 5.5 has aquasoil and the water turned dark and dusty a day after installing the filter. No doubt the flow's kicking up the substrate. Will it clear up on its own eventually, or will aquasoil always leach tannins if there's even a bit of motion?

2. Faytaya

FaytayaValued MemberMember

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    I don't know if aquasoil will always leach tannins, but I do know having activated charcoal will clean it right up. As for tiny particles in the water, those eventually go away as the filter catches them all. So the question is whether you think investing in activated charcoal is worth it or not perhaps?

3. VeiltailKing

VeiltailKingWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +817
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Throw some filter floss or 100% polyester quilt batting into the filter and it’ll clean it right up. Correct me if I’m wrong but I’ve read that activated charcoal is mainly used for removing medication. Quilt batting will last you a while. I always keep some in my filters as it keeps the water crystal clear. You will need to replace the batting every 1-2 weeks though.

4. OP
    OP
    BlackOsprey

Ratings:
    +311
    I actually have the charcoal packet that came with the filter in there. Pretty sure it's the activated variety. It's been running a few days now, not sure how long it takes to work.

5. Faytaya

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    Tannins were mentioned. I'm thinking the kind that causes blackwater. Activated charcoal will get rid of that, mechanical filtration will only target the little particles.

6. Faytaya

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    In my experience it can take a few days to completely clear up. The charcoal can get super saturated with the tannins if there isn't enough and might leach them back into the water.

7. OP
    OP
    BlackOsprey

Ratings:
    +311
    To be honest I'm not too worried about tannins. It's harmless at worst snd possibly beneficial for fish at best. It'd just be good to know for future reference, in case i use aquasoil again but I'm actually concerned with having crystal clear water.

Do you think a baffle might help? This tank had been running for weeks before the filter, and all that time, the water was very clear. Reduced flow might stop the issue at its source unless aquasoil leaches from any and all movement whatsoever.

8. Faytaya

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started

9. OP
    OP
    BlackOsprey

Ratings:
    +311
    You'd think that with how popular bettas and other slow swimmers are, someone would manufacture baffles by now. Oh well, I'll go find something to make one.

10. Faytaya

Ratings:
    +165
    Experience:
    Just started
    I know, right? So many aquarium essentials that are DIY...it's a wonder all these good ideas go unpatented.

11. VeiltailKing

VeiltailKingWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +817
    Experience:
    5 to 10 years
    Giving me some ideas... ;) Filter baffles aren’t too hard to make. I use a cutup plastic water bottle for one of my betta tanks. I’ll have to play around with my 3D printer and see what I can come up with...

12. OP
    OP
    BlackOsprey

Ratings:
    +311
    Man a 3D printed kind would be great. My uni has a free-to-use printer too.

I've decided to try the plastic soap dish idea, got it for 2 bucks at wally world.

I've seen a few designs out there that's essentially a tube of plastic with holes punched in. Water flows outta the filter, over the baffle, tickles through the holes. Much more compact than most other DIY options.

In a larger tank, a basket full of stones and java moss would work too, and it would probably make a fantastic shrimp and fry hideaway.