Aquaclear 70

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by plug, Dec 30, 2012.

1. plug

plug Well Known Member Member

Just bought an aquaclear 70 that I saw on sale at LFS, could not resist
    I have an aquaclear 50 in my 22 gallon tank, and it runs quiet, but the 70 seems to make kind of a humming noise
    I hear it, and it kind of bugs me, but does not seem to bother anyone else. I am usually anal about these things, so was wondering if anyone else has one of these and hears a kind of a low humming noise...not a grinding noise...but a low hum

Other than that, I love the power on it as it sucks up everything and creates a nice flow in my tank, and coupled with my eheim 2213 I am positive to have great coverage in my 46 gallon tank

2. Matt B

Matt B Well Known Member Member

I would apply some lube to the impellar shaft and that, along with time seems to quiet them. I have also heard of members putting a stress coat product in the impellar housing as lube.

You can also check the impellar itself for any damage or nicks.

3. OP
    OP
    plug

Like any type of lube...not familiar with types of lube
    Like it is just a low humming sound, but I notice it

4. Matt B

I use plumbers grease (silicone based). I have heard of others using vaseline with no ill effects, whichever you choose just apply very lightly.

The several I have brought brand new had this sound when new if I understand you correctly(not like somethings broken loose and rattling, just a hum that sounds slightly louder than it ought to be) and even though they were still quiet it irritated me. The lube and time have remedied the problem in my case.

I have purchased one that was considerably louder than normal and I found a tiny nick in the impellar caused the problem.

5. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Usually it is an imballance impeller that causes the problem. Stress coat has been used before and as stated others have used a small ammount of vaseline.

6. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

Is it the top dust cover vibrating. When I ran them I sat hockey pucks on top of them to keep them quite.

Push down on the top or remove it to test.

7. OP
    OP
    plug

I noticed that the cover makes a rattling noise, so I am not using it, but the sound is still there
    Because of the size of this unit, it is more difficult to handle than the 50 but I will try some lube or vasaline. Just another question, which may sound silly, but you say to apply to the impeller shaft...so that is the long rod and just grease it up there? I never have taken it apart just opened the box and set it up. I hope it is easy to take apart

8. Matt B

You can rotate the whole motor a quarter turn counter-clockwise to release it from the housing, water will come out when you do this. You can then pull the impellar out of the housing and lube it up lightly on the shaft. It is a thin rod with a magnet on it, you can lube this whole assembly lightly.

9. OP
    OP
    plug

Thanks as always Matt...I will try that tonight
    I guess to put it back in just turn it clockwise

10. Matt B

Thats correct, I forgot to mention, when you put the motor back onto the filter housing, I like to apply a little grease to the large oring that seals the the motor to the filter to prevent leaks. :)

Glad I could help.

11. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

Quite a bit of water actually. And better make sure the intake tube is out or it will siphon alot of water from the tank itself.

I would just let it run and break in. Mulm is a great lubricator and insulator of small noises.

IME just let it run for a while...The hum will probably go away.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  12. OP
    OP
    plug

So much good advise...I will take all into consideration

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice