Aquaclear 70 Vs 110 Noise Level

Angel223

I have a new 55 gallon tank and am shopping for a filter. I want to either get the aquaclear 70 or 110. I am concerned about the noise level from the water flow. The tank is beside my bed and can’t stand the water trickling noise at night. I know having the water full will help some with the noise. I know the 110 would probably be better filtration wise...but is there much difference in the noise the 110 makes over the 70?
My tank came with a top fin silent stream 75 filter, with the water full it is very quiet, but that filter has horrible reviews about the filter quitting or overflowing after being only a few weeks old and I don’t trust it! Need to get a better quality filter but need something quiet also. Thank you!

BaerBonesBarber

The motor cannot be silenced completely no matter how you rig it and will be louder than in-tank options or canister options.. I'm sure you know this. Reducing flow may help the sound of splashing but the motor will still be humming. Yes fill it up as much as you can too. The 70 has a smaller motor than the 110 (300 gph vs 500 gph) but the sound may be louder with a 70 cause you may need to keep up flow cause media storage is smaller etc in the 70. If not doing an in tank filter or canister is an option (could be silent in some cases) and you need to go HOB.. my OPINION would be on a 55 to get a AC110 and take off the black plastic ring to reduce flow and set it to slowest flow. I have done this and had the 110 barely flowing at all if I wanted.. I had some honey gouramis at the time that preferred slow flow etc. You will have more than twice the filter media space and don't need heavy flow to filter as well.

Just my .02.

I would get more opinions though, I'm curious as well of other options...

david1978

I have 70's for my 55 and a 110 on my 75. I really wish I would of just gotten 110's for all of them. Motor noise wise they are pretty equal. The lids can rattle if you don't put them on right. Keep the tank topped off and the waterfall noise isn't bad.

Cichlidude

Another filter you might consider is the Seachem Tidal 75 or 110 for your 55. These have a submerged pump and the outflow is designed to move water across the tank and not just drop it down into the tank for quieter operation. You can easily turn the flow down to almost nothing for dead quiet operation at night.

The have these advantages over all other HOB filters.

1. A flow knob to control 80% of the water flow. Each notch is a 10% increase or decrease so you can manage your water flow to slow your water so it stays in contact with your media longer which is better for beneficial bacteria.

2. Draws water from three locations, top (skimmer), middle and bottom for better water filtering, not just the bottom.

3. Another knob to totally shut off the bottom intake if you only want to filter the middle and top of your tank only.

4. If the mechanical media at the lower portion of the media basket ever gets clogged it has a slightly higher bypass in the basket so the water will still be filtered through your media and continues to run efficiently.

5. Media basket locks in place so it will never rise up pushing the media up high possibly causing an overflow and flooding your floor.

6. Removable no spill media basket comes out for easy cleaning using the lid as a no spill carrying tray. Don’t even have to turn off the unit either.

7. Self priming w/submerged pump so you never have to worry about it not starting and recovering from maintenance or loss of power, especially if you are not home.

8. Self cleaning impeller. From Seachem Support: The self cleaning feature of the Tidal Filters can be explained by the structure and build of the impeller housing. There is a groove in the Tidal 55 that goes through the slot where the impeller stays and it will continuously clean the impeller of any debris or buildup. For Tidal 75 and 110, where the impeller goes that continuously flushes a little bit of water through the back to keep it cool and quite clean. The 75 and 110 have the same mechanism.

Islandvic

Silentstream filters aren't bad.

Most reviews are from user error.

This LINK to a thread on the forum shows some of the reasons why people have problems with those filters, how to avoid them, and most importantly how to add DIY media to the filter and avoid using cartridges. It also shows how to boost mechanical and biological filtration on then also. The examples of the mods given can be done for under $10.

Even if you upgrade to an Aquaclear, or the Tidal filter as Cichlidude mentioned, the write-up I linked is applicable to any Hang on Back style filter.

If you go the Tidal route, Kensfish.com has the Tidal 110 for $62. Most places sell them for $85+

I own both the AC70 and AC110.

Here is a link for a write-up I did for my AC110.

Angel223

Another filter you might consider is the Seachem Tidal 75 or 110 for your 55. These have a submerged pump and the outflow is designed to move water across the tank and not just drop it down into the tank for quieter operation. You can easily turn the flow down to almost nothing for dead quiet operation at night.

The have these advantages over all other HOB filters.

1. A flow knob to control 80% of the water flow. Each notch is a 10% increase or decrease so you can manage your water flow to slow your water so it stays in contact with your media longer which is better for beneficial bacteria.

2. Draws water from three locations, top (skimmer), middle and bottom for better water filtering, not just the bottom.

3. Another knob to totally shut off the bottom intake if you only want to filter the middle and top of your tank only.

4. If the mechanical media at the lower portion of the media basket ever gets clogged it has a slightly higher bypass in the basket so the water will still be filtered through your media and continues to run efficiently.

5. Media basket locks in place so it will never rise up pushing the media up high possibly causing an overflow and flooding your floor.

6. Removable no spill media basket comes out for easy cleaning using the lid as a no spill carrying tray. Don’t even have to turn off the unit either.

7. Self priming w/submerged pump so you never have to worry about it not starting and recovering from maintenance or loss of power, especially if you are not home.

8. Self cleaning impeller. From Seachem Support: The self cleaning feature of the Tidal Filters can be explained by the structure and build of the impeller housing. There is a groove in the Tidal 55 that goes through the slot where the impeller stays and it will continuously clean the impeller of any debris or buildup. For Tidal 75 and 110, where the impeller goes that continuously flushes a little bit of water through the back to keep it cool and quite clean. The 75 and 110 have the same mechanism.
Thank you for recommending the the Seachem Tidal, it sounds great, I got the aquaclear 110 but I decided I wanted a second filter on my tank and I definitely want to try a Seachem Tidal. I love how much you can turn the flow down for feeding the aquaclear can’t be cut down that much! Which size would you say I should get to go on my 55 gallon with the aquaclear 110?

Cichlidude

Thank you for recommending the the Seachem Tidal, it sounds great, I got the aquaclear 110 but I decided I wanted a second filter on my tank and I definitely want to try a Seachem Tidal. I love how much you can turn the flow down for feeding the aquaclear can’t be cut down that much! Which size would you say I should get to go on my 55 gallon with the aquaclear 110?
Well if you already have an AC 110 that is all you need for a 55 gallon. Only need 440 to about 550 gph for the tank and the AC 110 is a 500 gph filter.

david1978

I actually have ac 70's for my 55. A single has always kept up till I was over ran with convicts. My 75 I run a single ac 110.

Islandvic

If you still have the Silentstream filter, run that in conjunction with the AC110.

Instead of cartridges, insert a sponge foam block in the reservoirs.

It will add circulation on the other side of the tank as well.

Angel223

If you still have the Silentstream filter, run that in conjunction with the AC110.

Instead of cartridges, insert a sponge foam block in the reservoirs.

It will add circulation on the other side of the tank as well.
I might try that for now, thanks!

Lovecich

I have a new 55 gallon tank and am shopping for a filter. I want to either get the aquaclear 70 or 110. I am concerned about the noise level from the water flow. The tank is beside my bed and can’t stand the water trickling noise at night. I know having the water full will help some with the noise. I know the 110 would probably be better filtration wise...but is there much difference in the noise the 110 makes over the 70?
My tank came with a top fin silent stream 75 filter, with the water full it is very quiet, but that filter has horrible reviews about the filter quitting or overflowing after being only a few weeks old and I don’t trust it! Need to get a better quality filter but need something quiet also. Thank you!
I have an aquarium next to my bed also and am sensitive to noise. I have a canister and it is silent.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
CichlidDream
Replies
Views
thekingprawn
Replies
Views
BradleyH2O
Replies
Views