Aquaclear 70 Intank Media Basket

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by EricDRubin, May 20, 2019.

1. EricDRubin Valued Member Member

So I just purchased the intank media basket for the aquaclear 70 filter. I like the design and how it forces water through mechanical filtration without bypass. Well, I start putting it together and realized.... the AC 70 foam is too thick for the chamber on the intank. How? Isn't this designed specifically for the 70?

What I noted is I could put filter floss in the first mechanical chamber... then the foam in the second (bottom) chamber, then carbon and bio rings above. But I'm concerned having water pass through the finer floss first may not be efficient.

Thoughts? Anyone else have an intank basket and note this issue? Can you put the fine floss first or is this a bad idea?

2. kallililly1973 Well Known Member Member

Isn't that basket more than the cost of an entire AC70? You coiuld customize your sponge and cut it with scissors to fit the bottom then put some polyfill in the middle then the ceramic media last. Or as some run the AC filters they just fill it with sponges as its still a great amount of surface for BB to live and thrive. Hope that helps a little. ( i wonder if that basket design has the pop up timer when its time to clean it ) ( inside joke ) @coralbandit

3. Skavatar Well Known Member Member

i used a razor blade to slice through the sponges of my ac50's to make more room to add customized media.

4. Islandvic Well Known Member Member

Post a pic of the new media basket.

The foam block should easily be cut to fit.