Aquaclear 50

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by chunkdaddy, Mar 24, 2010.

1. c

chunkdaddy Valued Member Member

Hey everybody,
    I've got a quick question. Just bought an Aquaclear 50 and I was wondering, should I use the carbon media that is provided or would it be better to use a second peice of foam? I use well water in my aquarium and it is heavy in iron, I don't know if the carbon would make a difference or not?

Thanks

2. FishVixen

FishVixen Valued Member Member

I don't think it would affect the iron. I have to add iron to my planted tanks for the red color plants and never reccommended not to use carbon. Carbon is good for clearing the water that that is usually the only time I use it. Most aquariust use it all the time from what I understand.

3. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I don't use carbon, so all of my ACs have extra bags of biomax.

4. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello ChunkDaddy,

My two cents on activated carbon: I'm a firm believer that every freshwater aquarium should use it. Granted it is a personal choice and many members only use it at certain times, if they use it all. I respect that and it's their decision.

I use it around the clock in all of my tanks, changing it out every 3 weeks. After 3 weeks it tends to lose its effectiveness. I don't feel that carbon masks any problems but removes them as long as you change it out periodically. It absorbs minerals and organic substances, helps to keep your water clear, eliminates foul odors. It will also remove medications and discoloration in the water (caused by driftwood for an example). If you're running more than 1 filter on a tank, the carbon does not have to go into every filter only 1. I have 5 filters on my 265g and I only use it in 1 of them. The other filters you can stuff full of good bio media. (sponges, ceramic cubes and tubes, bio balls).

If your tank smells foul then I highly recommend adding activated carbon to your filter immediately. A water change would probably be a good idea too.

Ken

5. 1

1hawaii50 Valued Member Member

My daughter's 10 gallon is overstocked. I do 40% water changes twice a week, and when I don't use carbon, I notice that the water gets a really "fishy" odor. I haven't used any carbon in my 38 gallon yet, but I plan on doing so. I bought a large container of Marineland activated carbon and a couple of re-usable media bags...much cheaper than buying the filters with the carbon pre-installed.

6. B

Borisbbadd Guest

Instead of the carbon, I use an extra sponge, but it is just my personal preferance

7. R

Railed2180 New Member Member

I use carbon in both my 50 and 70 and have had great results. Just my :;2cents:;2cents

8. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

I also use carbon which i buy in bulk and change out every three weeks.

9. OP
    OP
    c

chunkdaddy Valued Member Member

Well, I think I'll go ahead and try using the carbon. Sounds like its worth a try, can always change out later.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice