Aquaclear 50 Has Strong Current

1. Ravynn

Ravynn Member Member

I've got an Aquaclear 50 on my 20 long. I have it on the lowest setting with a Fluval pre-filter sponge on the intake and it's still blowing around the plants in front of the filter and the fish struggle when trying to swim upwards. I'd like to keep surface agitation and i haven't been able to figure out a way to lessen the current that drops straight down.

Any ideas?

2. Adrian Burke

Adrian Burke Member Member

How many gallons is the tank

3. dwarfpufferlover

dwarfpufferlover Well Known Member Member

Hello,
    I use filter floss on my 20 long to baffle the filter and catch debris, it is also an ac 50.

There is another method that involves cutting plastic from a water bottle. There is tons of videos of YouTube for it. I have never done it before.

4. OP
    OP
    Ravynn

Ravynn Member Member

Hi! Where do you put the filter floss, is it just in the media compartment?

5. dwarfpufferlover

dwarfpufferlover Well Known Member Member

pretty much wherever you want for your needs. I place mine at the top so I can see when it needs to be changed and as a last "catch" for anything.

6. Thunder_o_b

Thunder_o_b Fishlore VIP Member

I have to admit to being completely baffled at the many threads of people saying they have trouble with current flow with 10x or less the water column in their aquariums. I have over 700 GPH (HOB and canister) in a 37 gallon guppy aquarium with plants (one is a Madagascar lace) and everyone is doing very well. My other aquariums are filtered at the same or higher rate.

I do not get it.

What fish do you have that are struggling with your water flow?

7. OP
    OP
    Ravynn

Ravynn Member Member

I think if the water didn't drop straight down the filter current wouldn't be as much of a problem. The tank is only 12" high. I have kuhli loaches and when they go where the water drops down it literally blows them around, especially the pangio cuneovirgata. They tend to stay on the other side of the tank because of it.

8. Badhaircut

Badhaircut Initiate Member

I have the same filter. If you raise the water level to close to the top, the current will flow across the top of the water instead of straight down. That will give you better complete circulation of the tank as well. I have it installed on the end of my 29 gal tank and get circulation along the whole length of the tank.

9. E

E150GT Initiate Member

I wish the flow control on the aqua clear filters was better. I have an AC70 and moving the lever seems to do nothing.

10. Badhaircut

Badhaircut Initiate Member

Is the U-tube seated all the way down? Moving the lever makes a big difference on my AC50.

11. 75g Discus Tank

75g Discus Tank Fishlore VIP Member

Try to baffle the flow.

Water bottles will work.

@Badhaircut, nice to see another Houstonian here!

12. angelcraze

angelcraze Initiate Member

I have siliconed a plastic flap to extend the output spout, probably the same idea as the water bottle. It allows the water to flow across the surface and curl around the other end for max circulation. I also keep my HOB filters on the side end of my tanks instead of on the back. The flow is along the length instead of a section front to back.

13. angelcraze

angelcraze Initiate Member

Try moving the whole U shaped tube instead of the front only. Make sure the tube is half covering the impeller hole to cut flow.