Aquaclear 30 weird noise

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by Leen, Mar 31, 2010.

1. L

Leen New Member Member

During my regular maintenance last thursday i replaced my carbon filter. I had some trouble turning the filter back on but figured out that the problem was a very dirty impeller and impeller well. I cleaned that out and it started right up. Ever since then, the filter makes a strange noise about every 10-15 minutes. The noise sounds almost as if something is getting caught in the filter that shouldn't be there. At first i thought it was maybe the current causing gravel to hit the glass. But then i realized the noise was coming from inside the filter itself. Today, i cleaned the filter once again, thinking maybe i'd left some debris in it. It is still making the same noise. It almost sounds like something solid is hitting the impeller, but because it occurs so frequently i have no clue what it could be. Could it possibly be the new carbon? Does it normally make a crackling noise when new? My tank is staying very clean and the filter is working perfectly, but i'm worried about this noise. I don't know if its going to eventually break my filter. Any ideas or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

2. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

Have you tried to turn on the motor with impeller without them being connected with the plastic body?
    Be careful with the impeller, cost me 11 bucks to be replaced when I broke mine.

With proper water level, it should be quiet.

3. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Leen,

The carbon in your filter should not be making any noise unless there is a small particle of it in your impeller well area. Carbon should always be rinsed before adding it to your filter. After you give the impeller well area a good rinse, clean it out with a Q-Tip, rinse it again add some Nova Aqua (used to add body slime to fish) or your chemical of choice that adds body slime to fish into the impeller well area and coat the impeller itself too. This acts as a lubricant for the impeller. It might help.

Good luck!
    Ken

4. OP
    OP
    L

Leen New Member Member

How do you remove the motor and impeller from the plastic body?

Ken, I cleaned the filter exactly how you described and the same thing is still happening. I'm getting pretty frusturated because I don't know what is causing the noise. It happens so frequently it can be timed and I'll know when it's going to happen again. I tried thinking about what happens with the filter every 10 minutes so it would give me a better idea what to look out for but I'm stumped.

5. l

Left hand on motor body right hand in filter body, twist GENTLY either counter clock or clock wise. Use a toothpick etc. And gently lift impeller out, thus disconnecting from motor.

Remember - Gently.

6. OP
    OP
    L

Leen New Member Member

Once it's disconnected do I fill it with water to turn in on? I don't want the motor to burn out.

7. l

Clean all the gunk.
    Connect impeller to motor and plug in for electric to test and observe for issues.
    No need to have the motor on too long, therefore dont worry about damage.
    After having placed your filter to tank, fill tank water to the small chamber before start-up.

8. OP
    OP
    L

Leen New Member Member

Okay great I'll give it a try. Thanks

9. m

michael68 Valued Member Member

If you are running an air stone and the bubbles are going up inside the intake the filter will make a very loud noise,just a thought from my experience.

10. OP
    OP
    L

Leen New Member Member

Nope no airstone. I actually contacted Hagen, the company who makes the filter. I explained the problem and they think it's the impeller. So they're sending me a new one. They were really nice about everything. Hopefully a new impeller fixes the problem.

11. l

did the procedure work for you?

12. OP
    OP
    L

Leen New Member Member

No not really. I'm still having an issue with the noise. Hagen, the manufacturer, seems to think it's a problem with the impeller so they are sending me a new one to see if it takes care of the noise issue.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice