AquaClear 30 filter noise

1. KISSMEKpop11 Initiate Member

So i just got an Aquaclear 30 filter and i set it up according to the instructions and when i put it in and turned it on, at first it was ok then it started to make this grinding sound then it would stop and start a few minutes later. I just re-set up my tank with seachem flourite red substrate. could that be the problem? the dust and muck getting into it? i took it out multiple times and took it apart and put it back together but its still doing it. please help?

2. MrFishFood Member Member

Aquaclears do make a bit of noise when new. However, I would take down your filter and clean out the motor housing. It is possible there is some debris in it. This will cause a horrible noise. It can also damage the magnet on the impeller and the motor housing.

I have several Aquaclears running right now. My newest running AquaClear 50 is making noise as I forgot to turn it off when doing a water change. This filter is in an aquarium with sand substrate. Some sand got in and has caused a rattle / grinding. It will not go away unless I replace parts.

Most Aquaclears that are new, will rattle for a couple weeks. It should go away on its own. Otherwise, something got into the impeller/motor.

My oldest AquaClear 50 has been running for several years and is very quiet. 2 AquaClear 20's are running in sand substrate as well, but so far no sand has gotten into them.

My best guess is that your filter just needs a break in period.

Sent from my M470BSA using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to Fishlore. I would just take it back to wherever you bought it and ask for a new one. Tell them it runs loudly, and that you've tried cleaning it and it still makes the noise. They should just give you a new one. Theres no reason for a brand new one to be doing that.

That said, I have several (very old) ACs that grind and grumble and need to be manually started with a chop stick every time I unplug them and plug them back in. Got them used from different places, they ran good for a while, then they slowly start giving up on life and making their terrible noises. Mine have been loud for a year or more but as still kicking as well as my silent ones. So, the noise is only a problem if you don't want to hear it ;)

4. Slug Well Known Member Member

If cleaning doesn't work try a different power outlet and run it into a bucket or sink. We experienced an issue similar at the NADA discus show this year and discovered there was just to much load on the circuit that the pump of the filter was not working properly.

Also check the impeller magnet, make sure there are no cracks in it.

5. KISSMEKpop11 Initiate Member

so, it quieted down after a day. thank you guys for your help, but i guess it was like a new air of shoes and just needed to be broken in, lol.

6. SeattleTank Initiate Member

My Aquaclear 70 is loud. I had it running for almost 2 weeks now. Going to replace it with Aqueon 50 filter this Thursday. I have 2 Aqueons 10s and they are so quiet. I do like the ability to customize your filtration media with the Aquaclears though..

7. Akari_32 Fishlore Legend Member

It seems like the more popular the get, and the more they crank out, the more that are starting to get loud. I actually moved my old AC 50 from one tank to another and it magically started running quietly! Something must have been out of whack in there...