Aquaclear 20 HOB Filter Media

Amber818
I have an Aquaclear 20 on my heavily planted 10 gallon tank. I am using the filter media that it came with (Aquaclear Biomax, Poly Foam insert, and Activated Charcoal insert.) I have heard that it is not necessary to use the activated charcoal. If I took that out what would I put in its place? I’m looking for something that I would only need to replace every 3 months or so. I heard with the activated charcoal you have to replace every 3 weeks and that’s a huge waste of money. I’m going on 3 months with what I have now but I obviously want the best for my tank. Looking for the best media set up for my Aquaclear 20.

Advertisement
jpm995
You really don't need to use anything else. While charcoal is not necessary and could cause some issues it's good to run in the filter occasionally to remove potential harmful chemicals in the water. I have an AQ70 with a sponge like pad and ceramic[?] noodles and it work's well. I use 2 filters on my 55 gallon tank.

Advertisement
Basil
I have one Aquaclear running right now in my 20 g long. Only have a sponge and the ceramic media that came with the filter in it. If you wanted, you could add some filter floss to help polish but it’s not necessary.

ProudPapa
You don't need to replace the charcoal insert with anything, and you don't need to replace the sponge until it's falling apart. Just rinse it occasionally to get most of the gunk out.

When you do replace it, leave it in the filter with the new sponge for several weeks so you don't lose as much of your beneficial bacteria.

RayClem
You are on the right track. The filter sponge is good. The BioMax is good. You do not need the carbon except is specific situations.

My suggestion would be to add a small bag of Seachem DeNitrate. It is comprised of small lumps of pumice. Larger filters can use Matrix which is a larger size pumice, but the one you have is a little small for that. You can use the DeNitrate in addition to the BioMax or replace the BioMax with DeNitrate. Pumice is a superb biofilter material due to its very high porosity.

cosermann
I like to run two sponges in my Aquaclears when not running another 3rd media. Then I clean the sponges alternately, and swap their positions when I clean the filter.

(Also like the Seachem DeNitrate suggestion. Haven't tried that!)

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
kansas
Replies
Views
Fish99
Replies
Views
ForceTen
Replies
Views