Aquaclear 110 question

Discussion in 'Filters and Filtration' started by freak78, Dec 30, 2012.

1. freak78

freak78 Well Known Member Member

Was just wondering something. Would 3 of there be enough filtration for a 125 gallon tank?

2. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

What's the stocking plan for the tank? It makes a difference how heavily you plan to stock it. :)

3. OP
    OP
    freak78

Was just a general question. Probably an average stock.

4. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

2 would be on the planted understocked side, three would be enough to handle the tank without live plants and a full to slightly over full stock. They typically will do 500 GPH per 110 unit.

Assuming the 10times per hour turnover thats 1250gph, with two 110's producing 1000 gph and three producing 1500 gph

5. RogueAgent94

RogueAgent94 Fishlore VIP Member

Yeah, that would be an okay filtration but I think you may want to consider adding a different type of filter. Course I'm biased against HOBs since mine make noise sometimes lol. I prefer my canisters.

6. kinezumi89

kinezumi89 Fishlore VIP Member

With that large of a tank, I think canisters would be more cost effective anyway.

7. RogueAgent94

Not to mention you can buy Aquatops for cheaper than Aquaclears LOL.

8. C

Cichlidnut Fishlore VIP Member

I agree with rogue.

Personally, I'll never buy an HoB again. Canisters have gotten so cheap. Or I use a sponge filter :D

9. RogueAgent94

:;laughing I'm with you there Cichlidnut! Sponges and canisters are the best way to go. Corner filters aren't terrible but I still prefer traditional sponges.

10. pirahnah3

pirahnah3 Fishlore VIP Member

Oh I will agree that with the cost of some of the "no name" canisters on ebay you can get a really nice setup for not a lot of green.

I like HOBs for some of my smaller tanks and personally I have gone to aqueons which are silent really as long as the water is up there but then again what filter doesnt make noise if the water level gets low.

Anyways back to origional topic.

11. OP
    OP
    freak78

I'm a big fan of the HOB's myself. Never had any issues with my penguins. Never ran a canister filter just know of a bad experience a friend had of one emptied his tank cause a fitting came loose underneath.

12. RogueAgent94

:eek: You've never had a canister!? You must get one lol. I insist.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice