Aquaclear 110 Filter Information

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looking for recommendations on the aquaclear 110 HOB.. I am a canister filter guy but im looking for a spare filter to keep in case of emergency.. does it hold a lot of media will it take media from my canister how easy to set up..

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's great I have a chance to pick one up for 65$ I don't know is that a fare price..

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That is a good deal.Best we get here in US is around $70 .
My input is only opinion but I will say with 60+ tanks running well on air driven sponge filters I still run AquaClears on 33 tanks , several with more then one !
I think I have over 40 Aquaclears running right now .Would not even consider a different brand besides possibly the Seachem Tidal for its surface skimmer function.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's great thx for the help. I had a failure on one of filters about 2 weeks ago started leaking after a cleaning and can find why thankfully I had a HOB that come with a kit I bought a while back so I cramped it with media from it and way I went..lol

I have a surface skimmer on one of my canisters could I use it on the pickup on the HOB it's a fluval skimmer I really like it.

david1978

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not sure I would have anything but aquaclears on my tanks. Even if someone gave it to me. On my 75 I have only ever ran a single 110 and it kept up with how ever I had it stocked. I have others for my others tanks but this ones old enough to vote. Lol. I think I replaced the media in it 3 times, more due to robbing from it then anything. So economical too.

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
That's good to know I have a 75g that I would be using it on.. just wanted to know how it was for taking the media from the canister if need be..

coralbandit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
david1978 said:
I'm not sure I would have anything but aquaclears on my tanks. Even if someone gave it to me. On my 75 I have only ever ran a single 110 and it kept up with how ever I had it stocked. I have others for my others tanks but this ones old enough to vote. Lol. I think I replaced the media in it 3 times, more due to robbing from it then anything. So economical too.
I do have other brands given to me or acquired in deal with tank in the fish attic but will never use them .I ran the largest marineland unit for a season but when it came time to clean it up and do the usual it was just stupid .Replacing all the media in a filter ? I mean I think the bio wheels work but they are just trying to keep their hands in your pocket with replaceable pads ...

grump299

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Are they quiet..sorry for all the questions just not a HOB guy but I'm thinking they might be easier when it comes to maintenance..

Cichlidude

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Aquaclears are good filters. I changed over to Seachem Tidal filters after I found the following:

The have these advantages over all other HOB filters.

1. A flow knob to control 80% of the water flow. Each notch is a 10% increase or decrease so you can manage your water flow to slow your water so it stays in contact with your media longer which is better for beneficial bacteria.

2. Draws water from three locations, top (skimmer), middle and bottom for better water filtering, not just the bottom.

3. Another knob to totally shut off the bottom intake if you only want to filter the middle and top of your tank only.

4. If the mechanical media at the lower portion of the media basket gets clogged it has a higher bypass in the basket so the water will still be filtered through your media and continues to run efficiently.

5. Media basket locks in place so it will never rise up pushing the media up high possibly causing an overflow and flooding your floor.

6. Removable no spill media basket comes out for easy cleaning.

7. Self priming so you don’t have to worry about it not starting and recovering from a power failure.

Islandvic

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
@grump299 , here is a link on a write up I did on my Aquaclear 110 w/ pics.

Also shows all the media I cram into the basket.

In the video, the background hum is also from another AC70, an air pump and canister. My cabinet doors were open below. So the slight hum is not all from the AC110 alone.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom