Aqua-tech Filters Question

1. ValerieAdams

ValerieAdams Well Known Member Member

Does anyone have experience with these? It seems like the flow is really strong but maybe it's just because I've never had such a big tank/filter? Also, whats the best media to use with them? The cartridges that it comes with? When those need changed though isn't it going to take the good bacteria with it?

2. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

I use a water bottle baffle on mine. I also stuffed it with fluval sponges and a little bit of biomedia. Whenever I get cartridge filters I change them out for sponges. Changing it out every month will just destroy you cycle. You can just swish it in some tank water.

3. OP
    OP
    ValerieAdams

ValerieAdams Well Known Member Member

What in the world is a water bottle baffle lol? I have some Blue Ribbon Pet Products ABLPLY7 Polyester Floss Bag Filter Media for Aquarium, would that be okay? Or would sponges be better? Whats a good sponge to get? Also, what exactly do you mean by biomedia?

4. bryangar

bryangar Well Known Member Member

I cut a water bottle in half and used it as a baffle, you can find many how to videos about it on google.
    The filer floss you use is fine. It picks up very fine particles to keep your water crystal clear but you do have to change it out after a while.
    I like the aquaclear foam, I just squeeze it in some tank water when I’m cleaning it and it last forever. The bio media is just some ceramics rings I bought off ebay.

5. Goldiemom

Goldiemom Well Known Member Member

6. Michael.j.gomez

Michael.j.gomez Valued Member Member

Hello, I took a piece of household sponge cut slit in it to cover intake that seemed baffle water flow & acts as media like a sponge filter. Hope this helps!