Aqua-tech filter?

BigJoe
I just bought a aquatech 20-40 filter for my 14g tank... I wasn't aware that the filters had carbon in them... is this filter worth using of should I take it back and get something else in the 30 dollar range?

tzqng8
Don't know much about that filter and I couldn't find it at . Having a media slot that is generally used for a filter cartridge that has activated carbon in it is not, inherently, bad. But, I have no idea what the GPH rate is of that filter, so it would be hard for me to say whether it is good or not.

I personally like the . A 100 would be fine for your 14g tank. Might want to look at those if you don't like yours, and it is quite a bit cheaper than $30.

Butterfly
Those filters are frequently the ones included in the aquarium packages at WalMart. I used the one that came in my 29 gallon set-up for several years. I did replace the cartridges with foam and occasionally floss to polish the water.
Carol

BigJoe
Its got a flow rate of 160 gph which is a bit much... but seeing as how I keep serpaes and corys a little extra current shouldnt hurt... I just hope it doesn't burn up quick... I wanted something a little stronger than what I had... which is suppoed to be for 10-15g

Fishies-for-me
I like the aqua clear filters as they have a large slot for different media. The medias all come seperatly and you can put in whichever you like. Exp you can put in a sponge ..a bag of carbon and ceramic rings...or leave out the carbon and put in 2 sponges...or 2 ceramic rings...whatever.

Lucy
I've got aqua-techs in my 10g's. I've been happy with them.
I had bought extra cartidges before I knew I could just use filter floss. So I just made a slit and emptied the carbon out.

Fishies-for-me
I just relized that I have the aqua tech 20-40 thsat came as stock with my 29 gal kit...I hated the dern thing ...it has no water flow and wouldn't keep the tank clean...I added it to my 36 gal ( along with another filter) and got a aqua clear 70 for the 29.

BigJoe
yeah I got the 14g kit and it came with a 10-15g rated one... 100gph

I must say that after having it on a few days... my water is much clearer... I think it is just right having it for a 14g tank... but right now I have a total of 250gph... overkill? maybe but it does a good job... plus my hair algae problem is going down... whoda thunk filtration would be the key

Butterfly
.. but right now I have a total of 250gph... overkill? maybe but it does a good job... plus my hair algae problem is going down... whoda thunk filtration would be the key
As long as the flows not too rough for your fish the GPH is fine. Smaller tanks are more likely to have a problem the water being too rough than larger ones.
Carol

djr
Filter

I have a Aqua-Tech 5-15 that I payed $10.00 dollars for at Wal Mart on my 14g tank and one on my 20 gallon tank and they work great. I think the one you have is to big for a 14g tank. It flows 100 gal per hour.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
JimTheFishGuy
Replies
Views
immaman1992
  • Question
30 Gallon Tank Upgrading filter
Replies
Views
JoeCal52