jinx_beta

Valued Member
Reaction score

Isabella

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
It really depends on what tank styles you like, but I suppose some very general guidelines would be: tall plants go into the background, medium plants into the midground, and short plants into the foreground - this gives an impression of depth. The more the varieties of plants, the better. Various rocks and driftwood in similar color to the gravel also look nice in a planted tank. But there are also setups that do not involve plants. If you want some great ideas on how to aquascape a variety of tanks (planted and non-planted), I recommend for you to read Peter Hiscock's "Aquarium Designs Inspired by Nature". He gives a lot of ideas and instructions on how to aquascape according to specific biotopes. If you want a great book on planted tanks, Takashi Amano is the man. His tanks are breathtaking. I have his "Nature Aquarium World (Book 1)" and there are a variety of beautifully planted tanks as well as great tips on how to create such tanks.

jinx_beta

Valued Member
Reaction score
Thankyou for you idea Isabella.
I'll keep an eye out for those books, (both sound very interesting) and I might have a look through the forum pictures to get an idea of the sort of decoration I like!
I'm not sure about you, but driftwood is stunning. I really like it because not two pieces are the same (if you get what I mean!) and it really gives it that natural look that I'm after.
BTW: The fish tank I'm going to get is about 50 Gallons, and I'm 'over' the plastic replica ideas, infact... I might try to keep some live plants too!

Yours Kristyn

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom