Aqua safe during water changes

CathyS

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
I just read that you dont use aqua safe when doing water changes but a paper Ihave on all the stuff to use in the tank says to use it when doing water changes monthly. What do I do?

Kjeldsen

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You use it anytime new tap water goes into the tank, unless you're on a well. Even in small amounts the chlorine/chloramine used by water treatment companies is harmful to fish and biofilters.

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
CathyS said:
I just read that you dont use aqua safe when doing water changes but a paper Ihave on all the stuff to use in the tank says to use it when doing water changes monthly. What do I do?
It is a water conditioner made to remove chlorine/chloramines and some heavy metals (whatever that means) from our tap water. Unless you use bottled or well water you should use it in any water you are putting in your tank. Water changes should be done more often than once a month though.

TWiG87

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Prime is a water conditioner made by Seachem. A lot on here use it (myself included). Good stuff

mattgirl

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Closer to Heaven every day but for now-Arkansas
Experience
More than 10 years
CathyS said:
I dont know what prime is
Like TWiG87 said, it is a water conditioner that does pretty much the same thing your aqua safe does but it is very concentrated so doesn't take as much of it to do the same job. It also goes one step farther and detoxes low levels of ammonia and/or nitrites. It really shines when someone is doing a fish in cycle and are experiencing their ammonia/nitrite spikes. I doesn't remove them but they are in a safer form so the fish are protected from the damaging affects.

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom