Aqua One Tropical Conditioning Salts For Nitrite Poisoning?

Convictlover

Hi all, been dealing with a nitrite spike for the last 7-10 days at 0.25ppm. Currently doing water changes everyday to try and get it down to 0 but it’s not really working atm (I’ve done another threat for that pro

In the meantime I’ve been adding Aqua One Tropical Conditioning Salts in the tank as I’ve heard salt can stop the nitrite being absorbed by the fish until I can fix the issue. Is this product actually salt or should I be using another type of salt? If so what?

Also, I’ve only been adding the salt to the water I am replacing when I do water changes. Is this correct or do I need to add more to the tank? My tank is 65L. What would be the correct dosage to treat nitrite poisoning?

GlennO

Those conditioning salts can be beneficial if you have very soft tap water or if you are using RO or rainwater. I don't think they'll do much to address nitrite. What is the cause of the nitrite spike, is the tank not fully cycled? How long has the tank been running? Any nitrite in your tap water? Are fish showing signs of stress? 0.25 is quite low, you should be able to manage that with water changes until you address the cause. In the interim, if you're concerned about toxicity, a 5x dose of Prime can detoxify nitrite.

Convictlover

Those conditioning salts can be beneficial if you have very soft tap water or if you are using RO or rainwater. I don't think they'll do much to address nitrite. What is the cause of the nitrite spike, is the tank not fully cycled? How long has the tank been running? Any nitrite in your tap water? Are fish showing signs of stress? 0.25 is quite low, you should be able to manage that with water changes until you address the cause. In the interim, if you're concerned about toxicity, a 5x dose of Prime can detoxify nitrite.
I’m honestly not sure what’s causing the spike. The tank has been running for 6 weeks so maybe it’s not cycled like I thought it was. I’ve tested the tap water and it’s fine no issues there. I don’t think my Convict is showing signs of stress he’s behaving pretty normally but I did notice his gills are not red but rather dark (not sure if this cause he’s a convict or cause he’s got nitrite poisoning.

I don’t have Prime but I have Continuum Fraction which I haven’t used yet as I am using up my remaining stock of Pisces Water Conditioner which says it neutralises chlorine, chloramine, and heavy metals and renders ammonia, nitrite and nitrates non-toxic so I believe this is the same thing as Prime? Is Fraction the same as Prime? What’s the difference?

GlennO

I'm not familiar with that product but it sounds very similar to Prime. Follow the directions to render nitrite non toxic. It sounds like you did a fish-in cycle? It's possible that the cycle is not quite complete. It can take around 8 weeks.

Pfrozen

0.25 is not a huge concern... just manage it like you've been doing and your cycle should catch up without causing your fish any grief... I personally wouldn't let it get any higher than that though, definitely perform a water change right away if you notice it hitting 0.5... I like to be careful

Oh and if you feel especially troubled feel free to dump in a bottle of bacteria too

Convictlover

0.25 is not a huge concern... just manage it like you've been doing and your cycle should catch up without causing your fish any grief... I personally wouldn't let it get any higher than that though, definitely perform a water change right away if you notice it hitting 0.5... I like to be careful

Oh and if you feel especially troubled feel free to dump in a bottle of bacteria too
Yep been adding bacteria everytime I do a water change as well.

Pfrozen

Yep been adding bacteria everytime I do a water change as well.

It sounds like you already know what you're doing... soon you will be past this and you can just enjoy the hobby

Convictlover

It sounds like you already know what you're doing... soon you will be past this and you can just enjoy the hobby
Hopefully! Getting a new fish was suppose to be non stressful and minimal maintenance. It’s been anything but!

Pfrozen

Hopefully! Getting a new fish was suppose to be non stressful and minimal maintenance. It’s been anything but!

It will be soon though... provided you only have one convict anyways lol... otherwise you'll have babies forever

I remember when my friend and I set up our first tanks... we were like "man, I can't wait to just have a mature setup and enjoy my fish." well it took several months but its well worth the wait :) even the kiddos are getting involved now which is so nice to see

Convictlover

It will be soon though... provided you only have one convict anyways lol... otherwise you'll have babies forever

I remember when my friend and I set up our first tanks... we were like "man, I can't wait to just have a mature setup and enjoy my fish." well it took several months but its well worth the wait :) even the kiddos are getting involved now which is so nice to see
Yeah definitely only keeping one Convict. #nobabies

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
jdhef
Replies
Views
oldsalt777
Replies
Views
mattgirl
Replies