Aqua One Thermosafe Heater 300w / Use 1 Or 2 Heaters

Icemist

Hi,
I was wondering if the Aqua One ThermoSafe Heater 300W was a decent heater for a 250L tank.
I was also thinking of Eheim. Can anyone give me some recommendations about the size of heater and brand.
Also would you use two heaters or one.
Thanks

California L33

It depends on the air temperature, but a single 3oo watt heater should be fine for most situations. A pair of 150 watt heaters would give you some redundancy in case of one failing (tank might cool, but not all the way), and little chance of cooking your fish in the event of one having a thermostat failure and sticking in the 'on' position.

Oh, and haven't owned either brand personally, but Ehiem has a good reputation.

bgclarke

Sizewise the rule is 3 to 5 watts per gallon.
You have a 55 to 60 gallon tank, so your heater size is good.
If that was my tank, I'd probably go with a pair of 150 watt heaters.

Icemist

Thanks for the information. What about thermometers to keep a check on the temp. Are there any you can recommend?

California L33

I prefer a little floating thermometer. They're a couple of bucks in the US. They're probably not the most accurate in the world, but they're easy to read, and don't break down or run out of battery power like electronic examples. Unless you're breeding really sensitive fish you probably don't need extreme accuracy. You just need to know that your heater(s) are keeping the tank in range.

bgclarke

I mostly use the weighted thermometers that sit on/in the substrate.
The ones I use are made by Penn-Plax.

Natalya

I use three: strip, electronic and glass submersible I just got eheim jager 150w for my 37g, and I am not happy with it, the temperature constantly bounces between 75 and 78. I tried positioning it near the filter, far from the filter, opposite the filter, underneath the filter, in the middle.....same story. Not to mention that I actually had to set it for 68 to heat to around 76, That's minor.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Vxx7
Replies
Views
Dark Sky
  • Question
  • BigBeardDaHuZi
  • Heater
Replies
Views