Aqua medic skimmer contaminated with copper?? Question

Discussion in 'Protein Skimmer' started by reef dude, Apr 9, 2010.

1. reef dude

reef dudeNew MemberMember

I have been looking to buy a second hand aqua medic biostar flotor for my 175l reef tank (not set up yet)
    The person who i an buying it off has used it in a QT tank for a couple of weeks, will the copper treatment he used stay in the skimmer and if I buy it will it be transfered to my tank killing the LR and corals?
    Also does anyone have any experiences with this skimmer, advice would be very appreciated.
    Thanks

2. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

Not sure but lets bump and see if somebody else might know :)
    Carol

3. OP
    OP
    reef dude

how do I do that??

4. Butterfly

ButterflyModeratorModerator Member

when I replied it bumped it or another way to explain is bring attention to it.
    Carol

5. OP
    OP
    reef dude

Thanks Carol, anyone know what I should do?

6. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_DonWell Known MemberMember

I really don't think its going to be a problem. it should only be trace amounts if any. just clean it with really well and it should be fine. JMHO

7. Stang Man

Stang ManWell Known MemberMember

Cooper will not bleed into acrylic so what you are asking is safe just clean skimmer with bleach about 1/4 cup in a 5 gallon bucket let soak for 30 minutes and rinse tree times at same intervals then last rinse the 4th use a declhor or What ever you would use to rid of chlorine from tap water let fully dry for a day and will be ready to use!

8. OP
    OP
    reef dude

Thanks for your advice, very helpful the skimmer has a biowheel inside it, would it be wise to remove this and put carbon instead?

9. Stang Man

Iv'e never seen a skimmer with a biowheel inside it are you sure that this is a skimmer? If so I want to see a pic of it! I got to see this.

10. OP
    OP
    reef dude

Yip its definately a skimmer/biological filter,google "Aqua Medic Biostar flotor"loads of pictures as I dont know how to post one up.

11. Stang Man

never seen that before wow that is simply a wet and dry filter basically with a skimmer I would put some live rock rubble below the wheel and use rubble instead of wheel!It's designed for fish only tanks with the wheel but if you use rubble in it instead it will be same as a sump and that is way better than the wheel for growing a reef!

12. nemo addict

nemo addictWell Known MemberMember

biostar floaters are normally blue with a blue sponge wheel , you can replace the wheel and if its had copper through it i would really reccomend replacing it ,, imo these are not very good skimmers or filters as the wheel really doesnt do much but become a nitrate factory, i had one of these on my nano and changed it out for a hob fuge and a v2 nano skim,,

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice