Aqua Culture fish tanks from Walmart

Discussion in 'Freshwater Tank Equipment' started by FishJunkie50, Dec 24, 2012.

1. F

FishJunkie50 New Member Member

I was wondering if those Aqua Culture 55g starter kits from Walmart are any good?

2. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

I suggest piecing a tank together instead. They aren't horrible, but they aren't great either and you'll probably find yourself upgrading lights and filter at some point.

3. OP
    OP
    F

what about tank quality?

4. jetajockey

jetajockey Fishlore VIP Member

They are on par with any other tanks I've used.

5. OP
    OP
    F

Ok thanks for your help!

6. soltarianknight

soltarianknight Fishlore VIP Member

I use them as a base when they are on sale. However, replace the incandescent lights it comes with with 15watt CFLs from the lighting section of walmart, cost me $7 to do this, lighting difference is amazing. The filter imo, is fine. I have had mine for 5 years now and still going strong. I like Aqua-Techs. It needs a heater, that is one downside. You probably could piece a tank together for cheaper, but if it is just convenience then the AC is fine.

7. L

LyleB Well Known Member Member

Another thread has informed us of the dollar a gallon sale at Petco starting the 26th. Up to and including 55 gal. With what you save on the tank, you will be able to upgrade most of the other components substantially. That's the way I would go.

8. JRC3

JRC3 Well Known Member Member

I would look on Craigslist for a complet setup for a fraction of the price. Many setups there have items like substrate, decore, and other items included that can double the cost of a basic boxed kit. Not to mention those tanks will probably have more filtration as the original owners realized the need for more.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice