Aqua clear Replacement Filter Recommendations

• Thread starter AquaKid
  • Start date

AquaKid

Hello all.
I purchased an aquaclear 70 for my 20 long hatchling turtle tank near the beginning of this year. However, since day one, I've been having problems with it. When I first set it up, it was very noisy. It wasn't a hard fix, but I was expecting more from a brand new filter. A few days later, I woke up and saw that the filter had just stopped running. There wasn't a power outage or anything of that sorts. After some research, I realized that I had to manually spin the impeller for it to turn on. Today, The impeller is making a really loud humming noise. I cleaned the impeller twice but it didn't go away. At this point I'm not interested in reparing it anymore, I just want other ideas for filtration. The only reason I ask here and don't go directly for the tidal is that the tank is only filled 3/4th ways up, so I cant put on a hob with a submerged pump on. I'd get a canister, but hob's are much cheaper, and i am on a budget of $75. If anyone has any ideas for which filter I should get, I'm all ears.

Edit: 20 Long

kattiq

Well Known
So the tank is really only 20L (5 gallons)? I just want to clarify since a AC 70 seems to be steep overkill for a tank that size.

AquaKid

I meant 20L as in 20 Long. A 70 on a five-gallon would be way overkill lol.

AngelfishDude722

AquaKid said:
Yeah that would be way too overkill. But I don’t know much about turtles but can they do with a sponge filter?

AquaKid

AngelfishDude722 said:
Yeah that would be way too overkill. But I don’t know much about turtles but can they do with a sponge filter?
It really depends on the turtle. Some can be very curious about the different flavors in the tank, and mine is very much like that. I'm worried that he might ingest a piece of sponge.

A201

Fishlore VIP
Most HOB's don't work well unless the water level of the tank is at its maximum. Especially AC's
You might try the old school Marineland Emperor 400 w/ extended intake tube.

AquaKid

A201 said:
Most HOB's don't work well unless the water level of the tank is at its maximum. Especially AC's
You might try the old school Marineland Emperor 400 w/ extended intake tube.
What would be the difference between the emperor 400 and the penguin 350?

A201

Fishlore VIP
The Emperors have a spray bar, which keeps the bio wheel turning.
The Marineland Penguin's don't have that feature.

kattiq

Well Known
AquaKid said:
That makes SO much more sense. Haha
I'm not sure sponge filters would work since Turtles are quite messy, it would hold a lot of bb but it lacks in clearing the water out very well.
Have you looked into something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-PX-36...sprefix=canister+filter+fof+20,aps,183&sr=8-5

A lot of cannisters for the 20g range I would think would definitely be under $75.

ForceTen

If that filter was running and there was no water in it when you found it, it is toast.

I have had to learn about AC filters and had some of your issues early on.
One thing is the stainless steel rod the impeller spins on.
This rod must be fully pushed (seated) into the motor housing. Have you checked this? Take out the impeller and push the rod down in against a hard surface.
If it moves down, you have found your problem with noise.
The impeller must spin freely on its rod. If there is any resistance and its not perfectly smooth replace it.
Also the motor opening where the impeller goes could be deformed from heat during a dry run. If this is the case, you will need a new motor. You can't fix this issue.

Can you be more specific as to the "filter quit". Was it still running and out of water?

AquaKid

A201 said:
The Emperors have a spray bar, which keeps the bio wheel turning.
The Marineland Penguin's don't have that feature.
How important is the biowheel? I've never had one and haven't had problems with bb. Also, I've heard that they stop spinning after around a year. can the extra spraybars actully help with this?

A201

Fishlore VIP
My old Emperor 280 ran for 22 years without a problem with the original biowheel.
Extra large bio wheel technology is often used in commercial aquarium display rack setups. The type set up that used to be seen at WalMarts.
I run two Emperor 400's on my 65 gal.
IMO, just as good as any of the top HOB's.

AquaKid

Thank you all for your help. I feel like the bio wheels pretty gimmicky to me and I don't think I'll have a problem if they stop spinning, so I'll probably go for the penguin. Plus, the emperor is only sold on amazon through third parties and is almost $40 more

AquaKid

ForceTen said:
If that filter was running and there was no water in it when you found it, it is toast.

I have had to learn about AC filters and had some of your issues early on.
One thing is the stainless steel rod the impeller spins on.
This rod must be fully pushed (seated) into the motor housing. Have you checked this? Take out the impeller and push the rod down in against a hard surface.
If it moves down, you have found your problem with noise.
The impeller must spin freely on its rod. If there is any resistance and its not perfectly smooth replace it.
Also the motor opening where the impeller goes could be deformed from heat during a dry run. If this is the case, you will need a new motor. You can't fix this issue.

Can you be more specific as to the "filter quit". Was it still running and out of water?
I pushed the rod down, but it would not stay down which I thought was weird. And when I say the filter quit, I mean it just stopped running. The motor did not loose power, but it just suddenly stopped spinning. that caused the filter to run dry.

AquaKid

kattiq said:
That makes SO much more sense. Haha
I'm not sure sponge filters would work since Turtles are quite messy, it would hold a lot of bb but it lacks in clearing the water out very well.
Have you looked into something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Finnex-PX-360-Compact-Canister-Aquarium/dp/B002VFF8U4/ref=sr_1_5?crid=3SDI8L7VPENRA&dchild=1&keywords=canister+filter+for+20+gallon+fish+tank&qid=1600871943&sprefix=canister+filter+fof+20,aps,183&sr=8-5

A lot of cannisters for the 20g range I would think would definitely be under $75.
This filter only is rated for 95 gph, and 25 Gallons. I had looked into this before but I thought that it would not be powerful enough.

ForceTen

AquaKid said:
I pushed the rod down, but it would not stay down which I thought was weird. And when I say the filter quit, I mean it just stopped running. The motor did not loose power, but it just suddenly stopped spinning. that caused the filter to run dry.
If the rod is loose, the motor must be replaced. Heat is the only thing I can think of that may have caused it. Dry motor running causes heat.
If the rotor does not slide in easy, the stator is deformed. New motor is required.

Top Bottom