Aqua Clear Refugium Questions

mrkessler28

Reaction score
I received my AC50 yesterday and started to mod it for a refugium. When I cut the basket up into 3 pieces and go to insert the piece that goes goes between the impeller and the rest of the filter my piece won't go all the way down to the bottom. It stops right at the top of the teeth that keep the basket off the bottom. The only way I can get it to go all the way down is to put it at an angle, which I don't really like. I'm trying to put this piece about 1/2 inch from the wall so I can put some floss or foam in there before the chaeto. Am I missing something here?

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
That's normal and good. It lets water flow both up under and through. If you are going to have a little comparement there for floss or something, glue the second pieces holes at the top closed, so water has to go up through the chaeto. See the second part from the left? I glued the holes at the top closed so water flows under it. The first piece I left open so water would go through the floss.
P1050673.JPG

OP
M

mrkessler28

Reaction score
Culprit said:
Check out this thread a few of us made
Diy Aquaclear Refugium
I copied what you did last night. I goofed and thought I would add the piece for the overflow last so it wasn't in the way. That didn't work so I ended up just cutting it half and putting it in. My silicone job looks like total **** though. My big hands in that little space wasn't a good combination.

Culprit

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
At least it worked out in the end. Don't worry, I had a hard time hot glueing it in, looks horrible.

stella1979

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Our silicone looks like a real hack job too, but no worries, you won't be noticing the silicone once it's in use. Don't worry about the looks, be proud of your mod!

New Threads