Aqua Clear or Penguin Filters? Which one is best?

1. N

Neji Valued Member Member

Hey, I know I've got an aqua clear filter already but I hear some people say that the penguin filters are a lot better and others say they aren't the best.... my pet store uses them and they seem to be really good :) although the other pet store uses the aqua clear filters and they seem to be keeping the water clear. it keeps my water pretty clear too unless there is a bacterial bloom :(

So, do you think the penguin filters with the bio wheel are better? since there is a bio wheel that does something to the water I suppose.... I don't know what it does exactly. If the penguin filters are better, than I will switch to those filters and probably give my filters away :)

So, tell me what you all think :) penguin or aqua clear?

2. Jaysee

Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I prefer AC's over penguins, hands down. I'm not a fan of penguins - i've got 4 not in use.

3. l

leeishom Valued Member Member

using a aquaclear as of now.
    just be careful of the impellers, unlike me...cause i just broke mine.

4. OP
    OP
    N

Oh? How did you break the impellers?

5. OP
    OP
    N

Oh I see. Why AC's?

6. l

the motor didnt start up, so i decided to clean the motor and the impeller, so i tried to pry out the impeller, i guess with too much force and the impeller came out flying, hitting the kitchen sink. OoOps.

7. OP
    OP
    N

YIKES!!! I never did that in my entire time of having aqua clear filters ha ha! I just take the parts out carefully when I clean them.

8. Weedcali

Weedcali New Member Member

AC hands down. great media options IMO :)

9. Jaysee

They're quiet, I like the customizable media, flow control, and are an ideal design for starting new tanks :)

10. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

I have to vote for the Aqua Clears too. However, I've never used a Penguin. I'm just not a fan of the bio wheels. I'm currently running 7 Aqua Clears on all 4 of my tanks.

Ken

11. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I have only used AC filters and love them.

The biowheels allow more bacterial goodies to be stored on the wheels. The wheels also help disturb the flowing water, thus adding more oxygen to the water.

12. redlessi

redlessi Well Known Member Member

I prefer aquaclear's totally, they are silent, have adjustable flow control and you can use whatever media you want..........

13. Jaysee

CM - that is true about oxygenating the water. i have heard this is not good for planted tanks though

14. jsides1979

jsides1979 Valued Member Member

I like the AC's and will never go back to whisper or any type like that. The AC's get way more contact time and the interchangeable media makes it the best.

15. OP
    OP
    N

But they don't produce a lot of bubbles or any bubbles when you fill the water up to the top of the tank. Penguin filters... they produce bubbles still don't they?

16. OP
    OP
    N

Which one? the AC or the Penguin filters?

17. l

true, with the variable media inserts and you get the total of GPH, instead of just the advertised GPH.
    AC's are simple, quiet and dependable.

18. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

AC for years of service

19. r

ray_sj Valued Member Member

I run both ACs and Penguins. They're both good filters, but they excel at different areas.

Jaysee sums up the strengths of the ACs: quiet, customizable media, flow control, easy to start new tanks.

In my experience, Penguins/Emperors are much better at fine mechanical filtration. With my ACs, I could never get the water perfectly clear. There was always a fine haze at the water's surface that the AC would not get rid of. This is never a problem with the Penguins/Emperors.

That said, you can easily improve each filter's weak areas. You can add filter floss to the ACs to improve mechanical filtration. And you can add bio-media to the Penguins/Emperors to improve their bio-filtration capabilities.

20. t

trailblazer295 Well Known Member Member

I have used a penquin once after a very old AC that was given to me used finally went down. After a few weeks I bought an AC30 instead, the so called "bio wheel" kept stop spinning which makes the whole purpose void. I have used AC for years on a 10g back when it was the mini and now have a 20, 30 and 70. Never had problems with the AC they last, easy to change media and clean. You can add water media layers you want in the amount you want.