10 Gallon Tank Aqua Clear heater

proudtobeafarmgirl

Just another question that I have had rolling through my head for awhile...

I have no experience with aquarium heaters and actually am scared of them - fish or me getting electrocuted, malfunctioning while I am at work and fish are boiled when I get home, what happens in a power outage?.....

There was an Aqua Clear heater for a 10 gallon tank in the store on sale for $30, regular $44 bucks. Since I have had good luck with Aqua Clear filters and there is a knob on the top to visibly see the temp you want it set at I am quite intersted in this heater but wanted to know if anyone has one and how they like it.

Jrobber

I have an Aquaclear heater for my 29g. Love it. I set the dial and it stays at the same temperature. There should be an orange light that comes on when the heater is on, but I've noticed my very little. I've had it in my tank for 3 months now and no problems.

If you are worried about electrocution during water changes, unplug your heater 20-30 minutes before you do a water change. I've put my hand in my tank even with the heater still going strong and haven't been shocked.

But I do live life on the wild side......sometimes.

Aquarist

Good morning,

I think heaters are a nightmare/worry for every aquarist at one point or another. However they are necessary to maintain a steady temperature for tropical fish, unless you live in a really warm area.

Try not to worry too much. Make sure your heater is submersible before you place it under the water. If it's a hang on back heater do NOT submerse it. Follow the directions on the heater. Once you place it into the tank, wait 30 minutes before you plug it in. This gives the thermostat time to adjust to the water temperature. Be sure to unplug the heater at least 20 minutes before doing a water change. Do not turn your heater on if it isn't in the water.

Pay attention to what you are doing! Make sure your hands, feet and clothing are dry before you start plugging things in.

Here are two links concerning power outages:

Ken

proudtobeafarmgirl

Thank you for the info, I will buy the heater today, hope it is still on sale! Do you leave your heaters on in the summer? How about those heaters that attatch with suction cups - if they wear out and the heaters sinks to the bottom the fish will get buzzed?

Aquarist

Good morning!

I leave my heaters on and adjust them accordingly. Now I keep my home cold with the air conditioning on full blast. Set your heaters on the temperature that you want. If the water temperature starts rising higher than what you have set then lower the setting on the heater by 1 or 2 degrees. Keep an eye on it and adjust it as you need to.

If the heater in question is fully submersible, then the suction cups should hold it in place under water. By the time the suction cups wear out, the heater will probably hang there naturally, in the same spot. You can purchase replacement suction cups, very low priced.

As long as the heater is fully submersible then your fish should not get "buzzed". Zap! lol

Ken

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
Taydee
  • gibsonfan2332
  • Heater
Replies
Views
Fisch
  • Question
Replies