Aqua Clear Box Cracked!

Discussion in 'aquarist' started by Aquarist, Mar 24, 2010.

1. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

While I was inspecting my tank yesterday morning :;deteI noticed a puddle of water under my tank. :shock: At first I thought one of my gallon jugs of Nova Aqua or Amquel + had sprung a leak. I rubbed it, smelled it, it wasn't slimy and there was no smell. Then I saw a little drop of water dangling from my out flow hose to my wet/dry filter. The hose was touching the Aqua Clear (AC) filter so after separating them I realized the leak wasn't coming from the hose but the AC filter itself. It had cracked at the joint where it hangs over the tank.

Instead of removing the filters when I rinse my media I just pull out the media box itself and then I replace it. I evidently put too much pressure on the filter box when I was replacing the media and it cracked right at the joint that makes the filter hang on back. (lesson learned)

I'm very fortunate that it was the filter box and not the tank itself or any of the hoses. So I didn't need any valium! :whistling: I removed the Aqua Clear and placed the brick sponge and bio cubes in the tank. I threw out the filter box and kept everything else for spare parts. It was a new filter :( Only running for a few weeks. I thought about using some silicone to patch the crack but I couldn't live with that hanging over my head, knowing I had a cracked box. :nono:

I replaced the AC with my Magnum HOT with the micron cartridge. I'll run it until the new AC 110's arrive which will hopefully be tomorrow. I ordered 2 just to have one as a spare. (actually I have something up my sleeve for the 2nd one :giggle:):;id
    Shipping: Wow! To ship them over night would have cost me $60.00. I'm having them shipped 2 day mail for only $22.00. I know good and well they would never have made it over night (as I live in the boonies) and I would have wasted $40.

So if you're doing filter maintenance on any hang on back type filter be very careful, go easy on the pressure when returning the filter media to it's home or remove the filter completely from the tank and then do maintenance.

Ken:animal0028:

2. Butterfly

Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Sorry your having that problem. AC are usually tougher than that.
    Thanks for the heads up.
    Carol

3. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

I would use super glue and leave aside for a qt tank. ;D

4. Lucy

Lucy Moderator Moderator Member

Yikes! Good thing you saw it.

:nono: You're so bad!

5. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

Hello,
    Yes, I was lucky as it could have drained out a good portion of my tank.

Navy I thought about that too, but I worry too much about things and that crack would have just eaten me up! lol So mentally I'm better off just to let the box go. lol Too, I have several other filters I can use for QT tanks.

Carol I currently have 7 Aqua Clears running (all tanks included) and this is the first incident I've had out of any of them. They're all nice and quiet and do a wonderful job. This was completely my fault and not the filters. :) Just one of those things! lol

Lucy :whistling:

Ken

6. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Poor Ken! I'm glad you figured out what it was before something else happened.

7. Shawnie

Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

phewwwwwwww thank god you didnt need the valium!!! ;)

8. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

LOL They're saved for another day. ( a really bad day)
    Ken

9. bolivianbaby

bolivianbaby Fishlore Legend Member

Yeah, now he can send it to us:;laughing

10. LyndaB

LyndaB Fishlore Legend Member

Did someone say valium? :;tea

11. cm11599ps

cm11599ps Well Known Member Member

I have 2 500's running on my 55. 1 is the original filter (12 years old) and the other is about 10 years old. I do the same as you to change out the media and never had a problem. The only times I actually remove the unit is to change the background or move the tank. I just had to replace the top frame on my tank last week and that was the first time I took the units off the back since I moved the tank 2+ years ago.

I would contact them (AC) and let them know about your problem. I would think you would need a LOT of pressure to cause a crack like that. They may have already been a little crack there before you bought it and then the weight of the water plus you pushing down may have worsened the crack. You only bought it a few weeks ago. I can't imagine that the AC directions say to remove the whole unit from the tank just to replace the media.

AquaClear External Power Filter Manual

Warranty

AquaClear Power Filters are guaranteed by the manufacturer against defects in material and workmanship for 2 years from the date of purchase, subject to the following conditions:

Warranty does not apply in cases where the filter has been abused or tampered with. The warranty is limited to the repair or replacement of the motor unit only, and excludes damage or responsibility for any animate or inanimate matter in contact with the filter.

If defective return the product along with proof of purchase to either your local dealer or postage prepaid plus $2.50 for handling to:
    USA: Rolf C. Hagen (USA) Corp.
    305 Forbes Blvd.
    Mansfield, MA 02048

U.K.: Rolf C. Hagen (UK) Ltd.
    California Drive
    Whitwood Industrial Estate
    Castleford, West Yorkshire
    WF10 5QH

CANADA: Rolf C. Hagen Inc.
    3225 Sartelon Str.
    Montreal, Que. H4R 1E8

Lastly, I'm not sure about what carrier would deliver your items but I work as a mailman. Overnight mail is for the most part guaranteed next day by noon. There are some exceptions when it's guaranteed by 3pm or even the following day. If they item doesn't come by the said time then you can get reimbursed for the shipping. Not sure about your area as for as delivery times go though.

12. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

Hello Cm :;hi1

Thanks for the information concerning the postal service. I've decided to keep the filter and use everything for spare parts. By having a good many Aqua Clears already, the parts will come in handy eventually I'm sure :)
    I appreciate your response!
    Ken

13. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

So sorry about your problem, Ken. Glad it ain't worse.

Best of luck! :;hf

14. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

Thanks PeaceMaker,

My new filters should arrive today! yeah!!!!!!! :) New fish stuff!

Ken

15. peacemaker92

peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

haha we all love the feeling of new fish stuff :D

Last edited: Mar 26, 2010
  16. Goldwing_Don

Goldwing_Don Well Known Member Member

Ken, i have used Aqua clear for more years then i'd like to remember.(20 at less)..throw the old parts away you'll never need them...lol :;eye:;eye.. really this is one company you can't go wrong with... i gave my son my 75 gal tank a few years back and 2 500's they are still running strong. best money i ever spent. :;dete

17. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

lol thanks Don.

My new AC 110's just arrived!!!!! Yeah!!! I've been very impressed with the Aqua Clears so far. I'll continue to use them for certain.

I'm going to attach the new filter with all new media that came with it. I'm going to leave the media I removed from the broken filter in the tank for now as it will come in handy before too long. (hint hint) :)

In my 110's I've been using carbon pond filter pads, cut to fit, instead of the carbon granules. It seems to allow for a bit more space as I add filter floss to the bottom of each filter. By using the pads none of my bio cubes are above water. I do use the carbon granules in my wet/dry filter for the same tank.

Ken

18. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

Hello Platytudes and Welcome to Fish Lore,

Thank you for your post. However, it actually belongs in the Buy/Sell/Trade section of the forum and until you have 50 posts you aren't allowed to post there so I have to delete your post.

I've decided to keep everything for spare parts. It was very kind of you to ask and to offer me the housing from yours :) I appreciate that and I hope you understand we all have to play buy the forum rules :)
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/forum-announcements-suggestions/227-fishlore-forum-rules.html

I hope you enjoy the site!
    Ken

19. navyscuba

navyscuba Well Known Member Member

Hello Platytudes and Welcome to Fish Lore,

:;sh Ken did you mix to threads together? hummm :;sh

20. OP
    OP
    Aquarist

Good morning Navy,

No, I had to delete one of Platytudes posts as it belongs in the Buy/Sell/Trade section. Between post #17 and 18. Thus my response in post #18 :) However, the member hasn't reached 50 posts.
    Ken

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice