Aqua Clear 70 Question

Karl

My Aqua Clear 70 filter that I've had for a really long time is wearing out...over the years of maintenance I've replaced about everything except the housing . It's a 36 gallon bow front planted tank... lightly stocked. I'm thinking of going with a seachem tidal 75....if your opinions is this a good choice or should I go with something else? Just exploring options. Thanks

A201

More good reviews than bad reference the Tidals. Most common complaint is that Tidals are noisy.
They couldn't be any louder than Aqua Clears. Lol.

Dunk2

My Aqua Clear 70 filter that I've had for a really long time is wearing out...over the years of maintenance I've replaced about everything except the housing . It's a 36 gallon bow front planted tank... lightly stocked. I'm thinking of going with a seachem tidal 75....if your opinions is this a good choice or should I go with something else? Just exploring options. Thanks

I have 2 AquaClear 110s on my 75 and I had a Tidal 75.

In my opinion, the AquaClears provide better filtration. But they can run loud.

Karl

What about a cascade 300 for something different?

A201

Only things I've heard about Cascade canisters are that they are very good filters and are relatively inexpensive as compared to comparable canisters.

Karl

Only things I've heard about Cascade canisters are that they are very good filters and are relatively inexpensive as compared to comparable canisters.
The 300 is their HOB filter.....Ive had their canisters on other tanks and yes they are very good....I just don't want a canister on this one.

A201

I've never heard any reviews good or bad reference the Cascade Hobs.

Karl

I've never heard any reviews good or bad reference the Cascade Hobs.
Same....are there any other filters to take into consideration?

A201

I like the Marineland Emperor 400's. Have two of them running on my 65 gal. I had an an old Emperor 280, which ran great for 22 years.
Marineland updated to the new Emperor 450's.

Karl

I'm limited on size (width due to the center brace). I've looked at the new penguin pro 275. The 350 is to wide. Would a 275 and my sponge filter due the job?

A201

I think together they would do just fine.

Karl

I think together they would do just fine.
Thanks, I've never had a penguin before but they look like something I might be interested in trying......that's one good thing about this hobby, always something different to try.

jtjgg

i have 3 Tidal 110s, which replaced a pair of AC70s and a pair of AC50s. things i like about the Tidals

black plastic, i don't like the clear plastic
motor/impelller in the water, immediate self priming
skimmer is more useful than i thought
has an actual media basket
lid doesn't have a hole and is used as a base for the media basket, lid doesn't rattle as much as the AC's
self cleaning impeller/motor, goes much longer between cleanings compared to the AC's

cons: the intake tube has no extra extensions, but the 110 intake reaches about 14" deep in a 21" tall tank, which is 2/3. i have a bare bottom tank, and would have like to be able to add an extension to get the intake closer to the bottom.
not completely silent as they advertise, but still very quiet.

Karl

i have 3 Tidal 110s, which replaced a pair of AC70s and a pair of AC50s. things i like about the Tidals

black plastic, i don't like the clear plastic
motor/impelller in the water, immediate self priming
skimmer is more useful than i thought
has an actual media basket
lid doesn't have a hole and is used as a base for the media basket, lid doesn't rattle as much as the AC's
self cleaning impeller/motor, goes much longer between cleanings compared to the AC's

cons: the intake tube has no extra extensions, but the 110 intake reaches about 14" deep in a 21" tall tank, which is 2/3. i have a bare bottom tank, and would have like to be able to add an extension to get the intake closer to the bottom.
not completely silent as they advertise, but still very quiet.
For a 36 gallon planted lightly stocked tank, I am running an AC 70 and a sponge filter as stated above.if I was to go with a seachem tidal would a 50 be ok or should I just go with a 75. The seachem 75 looks about the same as the AC 70

jtjgg

a Tidal 55 would be ok with a sponge filter, its rated 250gph.

the Tidal 75 is rates 350gph. personally, i would go with the 75 since it'll have a larger media basket, and the flow is adjustable, so you can turn it down.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
ForceTen
Replies
Views
toFeedornottoFeed
  • Question
Replies
Views
AndyP
Replies
Views
zcpetty

Did You Know...

If you start a Question Type thread and the issue is resolved, please remember to mark it as solved or at least up-vote the good posts in the thread that helped you. More info here: About Question Type Threads

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom