Aqua clear 50 problems

1. Matt251 Member Member

Has anybody ever had problems with the aqua clear filter motors? My motor quit spinning about 2 weeks ago, I cleaned it out, let it cool down and it started working again. Last night it stopped again and I can't get it working again. I got the aqua clear cause I thought they were the best, I've never had problems with whisper filter like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. bescher Member Member

I have never had a issue with aquaclear but then again I didn't like the way the filters were you had to pull the other thing out on the other hand their fluval series are fantastic. I have a C-4 ( up to 70 gals) and everything is separate I love them easy to change individuals filters out ( of course the biomedia) box I just rinse in aquarium water.

3. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

I've been using AC's for almost 20yrs. now and never had any real problems with them. They're the best HOB's IME. Just like anything else you may have got a defective one unless something like a baby snail or who knows what is getting in there?

*is this now a product review of the C3-4's?

4. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

Have you had a look at the impeller shaft? I replaced mine (very cheap, something like 3 or 4 dollars) because it was worn down in the middle and it caused it to stop running.

5. Chunk101 Well Known Member Member

Yeah, my AquaClear 70 just died on me the 2 days ago just after 3 months of use.

Luckily, I noticed that the water wasn't flowing and switched to another filter I have lying around. The motor was very hot to the touch and there was a lot of tank scum all around the impeller, the well and places of contact with the aquarium water. Although I did run the filter just over 3 months without cleaning, but still I'm a bit disappointed.

I will try to run it again to see if it works. But if it doesn't I'm gonna contact Hagen, there is a limited warranty on the product.

6. Adam55 Well Known Member Member

I've never had an issue, but I have not had one in a while. It's a Hagen product so I'm prone to liking them.

7. Viriam Karo Well Known Member Member

I should add that I've had three AC's running in my house for over a year and the only problem I had was with the one that I got used (the impeller shaft issue). They seem to be built well, but perhaps you have one with a defect, so I would agree with contacting Hagen.

8. Matt251 Member Member

Thanks everyone! I was able to get it running again last night after about 50 attempts. I think the shaft might have been slightly bent. I think I'm still going to contact them cause I've only had it about a month now and it's alway been noisier than my whisper 20. I just figured its a 50 so it was gonna be louder, I'm starting to think its been faulty all along.

9. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

That must have been the reason it was noisy or it was set up wrong. AC's are the quietest (and best :)) HOB's I've ever run across and I've been around many. good luck.

10. bescher Member Member

The aquaclear and the fluvals are very quiet HOB's I have had them both
    But like the fluvals better because the filters are better situated and you don't have to take them all out at once to change one. I know I'm a little pay attention to detail or whatever but my filters including the impeller and shafts and where they sit get cleaned every week. If I noticed the HOB not putting out I clean it.
    I'd diligent maintenance on everything.
    I have had too many fish die because of various reasons and I don't intend to have those episodes happen again if I can help it.
    I have a fluval C4 for my HOB and a Fluval 306 cannister filter as well just in case of issues.

11. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

With all due respect you already went over this (why you THINK they're better) in detail earlier in this thread :). I'm sure it suits your purposes well-enjoy :).

Oh, bescher are you using the C4 on the 13g you have listed in your profile?

12. Matt251 Member Member

By the way I'm alil confused my filter says fluval on the top and on the box says fluval aquaclear. So is mine just the lower end fluval or what?

13. bescher Member Member

Sorry for not answering sooner, the 13gal is gone, I have updated my profile unfortunately I wasn't paying attention and I combined the results of a 30 gal and 50 gal into one tank
    i use the C4 and a Fluval 306 cannister on both I have two of each

because the C series is easier to work with. You don't need to take out all the filters at one time, you can take out the mechanical one by itself and change it as well as the others. That's why I like them so much and they are just as quiet

14. Paul1792 Member Member

AMEN. I have an AC50 which is worthless compared to the Fluval C series. Everytime I mention how great the C series is compared to AquaClear, 1971roadrunner seems to take it as a personal insult.

All you have to do is google aquaclear bypass issues. Better yet ........ try servicing an AquaClear with the motor running. I have to use duct tape on the sides of my AC50 and stuff it with floss to get it to work (I hate the messy media basket which I finally gave up on). I now use my AC50 as a third auxillary filter on my 38 gallon that has two C3's. Same company (Hagen) owns both brands. Fluval C is updated technology that makes AquaClear obsolete.

I run cut to fit micron pads aquaticlife 50 & 100 micron pads + Seachem Purigen in mine and my water is so sparkly crystal clear & polsihed it looks like I am running a UV sterilzer and a canister filter. See my post #10 here:

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/filters-filtration/162475-upgrading-filter.html

and here are my media pics for comparison:

http://s948.photobucket.com/user/Paul1792/library/HOB Filtration?sort=6&page=1

As to the original problem of bad motor in AquaClear (up to AC70) or Fluval C ........ they use the same motor (it even has the same part number in both brands) and both are subject to random problems with either the impeller or the motor itself due apparently to poor quality control. Sometimes it's noise and other times it's outright failure. While both the motor and the impeller must be cleaned regularly, sometimes you just get a "lemon" and the motor and or the impeller must has to be replaced.

One of my C3's made horrible noise out of the box (noise went away after a few weeks) while the other was silent ...... AquaClears are the same. Just look at the inconsistent reviews on Amazon.

15. 1971roadrunner Well Known Member Member

Paul1792 , others have taken offense of your other threads here on FL in regards to this, as you well know. It's not the filters we take offense to, it's the over opinionated and angry posts you leave- 'nuf said, enjoy your C4 and relax :).

16. Paul1792 Member Member

Who are the others besides you?

I sure wish someone would have "told me off" before I bought my worthless AC50 based soley on reviews that they are so great.

I put an AC50 using out of the box equipment on my 38 gallon tank which was crystal clear .......... I did this because of great on line reviews saying like "I've used them for 20 years and they are the best" yada yada.

Within hours of deleting my cheap Walmart AquaTech with custom media ........ together with a Flual C3, my tank lost virtually all crystal clarity. using one Fluval C3 and an out of the box AquaClear 50.

To the rescue: I put the old AquaTech with custom media including micron polishing pads back on THE FRONT OF THE TANK and all was fine. Ordered a second Fluval C3 and all was good.

You think it is offensive when I call the AquaClear a "relic" or "obsolete" ..........you are naive. Go to the Toyota Forums if you want to see a real fight.

I stand by my statement that AC's are obsolete relics when comapred to the Fluval C series. The bypass issue is bizarre ................ why so many holes in the side ??????? so only 50% or so of water gets filtered by the sponge. The sponge is so coarse it is like a 2 on a scale of ten anyway. It does not remove micron particles. The only way a AC works is with floss in lieu of carbon. An AC70 or above has room for Purigen as will so it can be made to work, too. But who cares ........... that media basket is a mess.

17. delta5 Well Known Member Member

I don't use the carbon, but rather use 2 packets of the media with the stock sponge. 2 months and it's still silent. I do clean it with every water change and rinse out the motor under tap water. This negativity towards these filters is like saying all imacs sucks because you got a defective one.

As for this '50% filtration through the sponge.' It never affected my 55g tank with 5 black mollies, 2 red wag platies, and 10 tiger barbs. Personally I like the AQ-50.

18. WhiteWulfe Member Member

I have an AquaClear 20 and a Fluval C2, and they're both relatively painfree to maintain. Sure they're designed differently, but they both do their intended jobs.