Aqua Clear 20

Jonny Bones

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I just set up a new aqua clear 20 in my 10 gal and was wondering how much noise is regular? It makes a low grinding/rattling sound. Not able to hear it over ambient sounds only when it's relatively quiet.

Last edited:

tocandesu

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
The low grinding/rattling sound is the impeller. It should gradually get quieter as the filter gets established. If the rattling gets louder, try applying silicone lubricant or vaseline to the magnet of the impeller.

The impeller is located in motor, under the intake pipe and impeller cover. It looks a small white fan
d_6520.jpg

You can remove it with the motor by rotating the motor from the filter body. The impeller can then be removed by pulling it out.

AquaticJ

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Take the motor off and take the propeller out, makes sure it’s clean. If it’s clean, try taking a small amount of vaseline or petroleum jelly and rubbing it on the black part of the propeller. Just a small amount.

Jonny Bones

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank for the tips guys. Since it's not loud I'll let it run for a week or so and if the rattling proceeds I'll lubricate the impeller.

Jonny Bones

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've figured out what's making the rattling the other night. It's the lid. It doesn't really fit tightly just kinda settles down on the top which causes the rattling. Would it work fine without the lid?

JLeeM

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I've figured out what's making the rattling the other night. It's the lid. It doesn't really fit tightly just kinda settles down on the top which causes the rattling. Would it work fine without the lid?
My Aquaclear lids do this from time to time. I literally just have to touch them, and they settle back down and are pretty much silent again.

Jonny Bones

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My Aquaclear lids do this from time to time. I literally just have to touch them, and they settle back down and are pretty much silent again.
Seems like there's a low buzzing from the impeller that the lid sort of amplifies. I've read it takes a bit for a new aqua clear to quiet down so I am hoping it eventually will.

purslanegarden

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Filters can work without the lid but having the lid is good. Just see if it can be repositioned slightly to reduce the noise.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom