Aqua Clear 20 sponge/filter/biomax | Page 2

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by SilverMIssy, Jul 23, 2015.

1. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Better way to put it is, it's not a bad thing to keep on hand for emergencies, just not when you're trying to cycle a tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum

2. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

SilverMIssyValued MemberMember

Ok, so I should remove it? Once the tank is cycled should I just keep it out and just use it for emergencies or put it back in?

3. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

Yes you should, you're making the cycle take longer than it should to finish.

4. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

Ok, once the tank is cycled should I just keep it out and just use it for emergencies or put it back in?

5. Dom90

Dom90Fishlore VIPMember

The thing with bacteria is they need a constant source of ammonia to metabolize in order to survive so the ammonia remover should only be used in emergencies or you'll basically starve off the bacteria.

6. OP
    OP
    SilverMIssy

Ya that makes sense. I'll take the ammonia remover out. Should I through in another biomax to fill the space or will one work just fine? It's only one betta in a 10 gallon tank. It also had 4 plants in there to help.

7. Gena

GenaWell Known MemberMember

I rinse mine out in old tank water at least once every two weeks. Right now I'm using a double layer of sponge and a double of biomax for my AC50. And I'm using one sponge and one biomax for my AC30. I occasionally use other kinds of filtration in my Aqua Clears but only for a few hours to resolve a problem.