Aqua clear 110 current is too strong

1. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I finally got my 72 gal bowfront up and running and I am using the aquaclear 110. What can I do the cut down the current, it seems so strong.:;dk I have the sponge on the bottom, carbon in the middle and biomax at the top. There seems to still be a lot of room at the top. Can I put something there to cut the flow down some and if so what could I use????

Thanks much

2. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

aaaw shucks there little lady!!...check out DYI filter diffusers by Tedstank!

3. harpua2002 Fishlore VIP Member

The flow on the Aquaclears is adjustable. If you want, you can turn it down by pushing the lever on top of the intake tube to the right.

4. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Hi Ted, I looked at the diy and of course had no idea what I was looking at:;dk. Could you explain it a little?

BTW the moss looks really good in my new tank. Thanks a bunch.

5. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

What makes you say it's too strong?

6. redlessi Well Known Member Member

It looks like its blowing the fish a little too hard.:;dk

7. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

What kinds of fish and how long have they been in there with that filter?

An AC110 is by no means too much for a 72 gallon tank. If it were my tank I'd actually add more fltration, but it would also be a little overstocked ;)

8. redlessi Well Known Member Member

I just updated my aquarium info, Jaysee I transferred all of my fish from the 35 gal to this tank last night. It is far from overstocked, in fact it looks empty............

9. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

I think they'll get used to it in a few days. I'm assuming the cascade 200 was on the 35. A little research revealed the cascade 200 pushes 185 gph (unbelievable that they rate this filter for 55 gallons). IMO, your fsh are used to a weak current, turning over the water a little more than 5 times an hour. The AC110 will turn the water over about 7 times an hour, but running both filters does it more than 9 times an hour. That's almost twice what the fish are used to. All of the HOB filtration on my tanks are between 8 and 10 times an hour, which is ideal IMO. They just have to build up their fishy muscles :)

10. redlessi Well Known Member Member

Actually I had two filters on the 35, the cascade 200 and a aquaclear 150. They had a pretty good current on the tank.

11. Jaysee Fishlore Legend Member

.....then they should be okay. I'm out of ideas though. I still say give it a few days.

You could take an AC150 sponge, cut a hole in one end and put it over the filter intake tube. That'll slow it down some, AND you'll have extra cycled media for a QT or new tank.

12. TedsTank Well Known Member Member

Don't slow down the input...let your filter exchange as much water as possible. You can diffuse the output flow by simpley adding some flter media at the output into the tank, which disperses the flow better, so there is no strong current or make a diffuser....which does the samme thing but a little neater imo.

You can make a diffuser with a mailing tube or even a soda bottle. Cut the end off of bottle. Cut a wide enough slit in bottle to fit over the output flow. Attach it to the filter (big rubber band). Put some media in eack end of the tube or bottle....and there you go. The filter will run at its max rating and the water will be "spread out" and not cause a strong current flow!!!...all the while you filter is at max.
    Oh not a 2 liter bottle!! just a nice 18oz pepsi bottle ( I like pepsi) or soda of your choice!!!...lol

I can post more pictures if you are too confused...it is really very simple..but hard to photograph..sry.