Aqadvisor Yelled At Me...

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
my 20 tall (22.9 gal, net 19 gal water) is my misc/not for sale community tank. I recently rescued a Juvie L165 and that's where he ended up until I find a better spot for him.

Not long before that my wife brought home a Dwarf Gourami, so 6 Dwarf Neon Rainbow and a Guppy left the tank.

Current stock:
1 male Peacock Dwarf Gourami
4 Shortfin Leopard Danio
6 Cardinal Tetra
1 Guppy (thinks she's a Danio)
1.5 Mollies
1 Mystery Snail (Apple Snail)
2 Pygmy Corys
1 2" L165 Leopard Sailfin Pleco
17 Red Cherry Shrimp
Malaysian Trumpet Snails
Pond Snails (can't get rid of them)

Keep in mind I run "dirty" tanks, so AqAdvisor telling me 109% before adding the Snails is acceptable. It's really ugly right now due to some temporary Java Moss, Water Sprite, Crypts that came out of a 29g I tore down.

So, AqAdvisor yells at me that my 2" L165 is going to kill everything, and the DG is going to eat everything, blah blah...
Adding 20 Snails (MTS count is probably close to that) brings stock level to over 300%! What's with that?
Sponge filters aren't listed, 1 have 3 in atm. There's always 1 fully cycled and 1 seeding at the least.
8 gal water change every 2 weeks, 3 gal well water, 5 gal RO, 1ml Excel, and only because I'm trying to vac the Pond Snails out. I've gone 2 months without water change before the Snails showed up without my levels changing.
Stable water conditions: 0 Ammo, 0 NO2, 30-40 NO3 (depending on if my seed filter is established), 6.8 PH, 120 GH (went down to 90ish after 2 months), 180 KH, no salt, safe CO2, temp 77 degrees.
Everything is happy, the trip to AqAdvisor was really just for kicks.
The Leopard Pleco, the SS grade Shrimp (at least 2), and the Mollies will be rehomed shortly in case anyone feels the need to tell me they should be.
So, is AqAdvisor actually helpful in clean water environments? I like the idea, but if it's that inaccurate in an average tank I can't really in good conscience tell anyone about it.

Fanatic

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Alright, well I didn't see where it says the DG is doing to eat things, I filled it in on AqAdvisor myself.
Please keep this in mind that AqAdvisor is not 100% accurate, and really isn't all that reputable.

I think you have stocking issues, excluding the pleco and mollies. (how can you have 1.5 mollies?)

It's recommended to have at least five leopard danios in a group, they are a grouping fish.
I also think you shouldn't keep the danios and Cardinal Tetras in a group. They are only compatible by a 2-degree range and I would recommend keeping them at 78.
Danios cannot handle those temperatures, nor can you put it lower towards their range, the Cardinals aren't favorable in those temperatures.

DG's will eat Cherry Shrimp if they find them, be aware of that.

I also believe that you should be doing weekly water changes, every two weeks for the stocking you have is not all that great. The bioload is large.
Well, just my opinions.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The .5 is a miracle/oops that's about 3/8 inch long now. We named her Liquorice.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That tank is overstocked, so Aqadvisor actually did something right. Even without the pleco, mollies, and shrimp, there are stocking issues.

And I agree, you should be doing more frequent water changes than what you're doing. Dirty tanks are doing the fish no favors.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
In the process of building a 17 long for the Danios, but the temp is perfect for breeding.
The SS of my RCS are going in a 5g cube with the rest of my SS
Dunno where to put the Pleco yet, maybe in my Kribensis tank if they don't pick on him.
The Molly will go into the 29 I tore down as soon as I fix the crack.
The Cardinals are just temporarily housed until I need them, I'm well aware of their temperature needs (LFS keeps them at 88).
The Guppy is blind, she stays.
The .5 Molly will stay (keeps the filters clean) until I need her.
The DG will get a tank when I find him a girlfriend, my LFS wants a prettier stock (though all that color goes away in an RO tank).
The MTS are consistently culled for the LFS
Not really worried about the stocking, it's a revolving door for the most part.

TexasDomer said:
That tank is overstocked, so Aqadvisor actually did something right. Even without the pleco, mollies, and shrimp, there are stocking issues.

And I agree, you should be doing more frequent water changes than what you're doing. Dirty tanks are doing the fish no favors.
You misread "dirty". Dirty water is a self sustaining supply of microworms, daphnia, microalgae, with no chemical filtration (or in my case only when required). Aside from a recent outbreak of brown spot Algae, there's nothing unfavourable about my tanks.

bitseriously said:
Are you plugging in the juvenile sizes?
For the Pleco, yes, but I had to do it 4 times before it showed up that way.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Mick Frost said:
You misread "dirty". Dirty water is a self sustaining supply of microworms, daphnia, microalgae, with no chemical filtration (or in my case only when required). Aside from a recent outbreak of brown spot Algae, there's nothing unfavourable about my tanks.
I didn't misread it, you didn't specify what you meant Even algae isn't really unfavorable though - it's still very natural.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm now satisfied that AqAdvisor is inaccurate, 2 Kribensis in a 5.5 Breeder is overstocked and warns me about territorial issues. They'll get one of my 29s when they finally decide to breed, but larger tanks don't work well for bonding.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That is overstocked, and larger tanks are fine for bonding. I've had two different pairs form in a 20 gal long and a 29 gal (same footprint).

bitseriously

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Mick Frost said:
They'll get one of my 29s when they finally decide to breed, but larger tanks don't work well for bonding.
I don't breed fish, though I might get there someday. But I can't help but think: If you put two potentially suitable typically monogamous fish together in a tank (male + female, healthy, reproductive age, clean and large enough tank, etc.) and they fail to form a bond, doesn't that tell you something? Please don't read this as a challenge, I'm pretty new at all this, but I'm genuinely curious what others think.

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My barometric pressure up here doesn't make for favourable bonding/breeding conditions. Took me a long time to figure it out (8 years).

Plugging in the real dimensions of the Kribensis breeder tank netted 55% stocking, but the calculations for water volume are off. My 22.9 net listed at 26.?g, and my breeder says 8.? when it only holds 6.5g

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You give the impression that you don't like Aquadvisor and you are far more knowledgeable.

Don't use it then.

Here we call this kind of post "Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells".

Mick Frost

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My question was whether or not it's adequate in its own right. I would like to know if it works and what needs to be finessed for it to work properly.
I cannot figure out if it accounts for substrate in water volume (I'm thinking it assumes bare bottom), what measurements it wants for juveniles, etc.

yukondog

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
I've never really seen the need for it. I try to stay under stocked and if I need to have a tank for misfits than just get another tank. And as far as a tank being to big for fish to pair up ? I have kribs, A. Borellii that are only just 1.5" in heavily planted 40 longs that pair up and breed just fine.

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
No, I don't think it works or is adequate itself. I don't think it could ever work 100% though, unless specific info was put in for each species and potential combinations of species. Not really realistic.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom