Aqadvisor Stocking Calculator?

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by tum0r, Apr 16, 2018.

1. tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

(I'd like to apologize if this question is in the wrong area) Is this method of calculating your stock accurate, can it be trusted? I know that the inch per gallon rule is quite flawed, I've only been using it as a general rule of thumb because I think as far as space goes it actually works quite well in making sure the fish have adequate swimming space but after inputting my potential stock into the AqAdvisor calculator it says I am only stocked at about 50% when I was thinking I was almost overstocked based on the inch per gallon rule. Should I trust the AqAdvisor? What do you think personally, could I add more fish?

Attached Files:

2. Ryan P

Ryan PValued MemberMember

tank
    size?

3. Platylover

PlatyloverFishlore VIPMember

Yes, tank size will be needed to know whether it’s stocked well or not. As for how accurate AQ is, I always take it with a grain of salt. Simply use it as a reference when needed. There’s so many things that a stock calculator can’t take into consideration. It’s generally best to use things like that to get an idea, but do most of the research and figure out the stocking on your own or get some help from others.

4. dwarfpufferlover

dwarfpufferloverWell Known MemberMember

I tend to search for “experience threads” for stock reliability rather than AQ.

I got burned using aqadvisor and since only use to see how much my filtration can take.

5. jmaldo

jmaldoWell Known MemberMember

Bravo! You're asking the right questions. I used the AquaAdvisor when I started but as mentioned it is flawed and just a starting point, it's best to do the research. We have "Veteran Keepers" here whom can give you some "Good" stocking advise. I would wait for them to chime in. Good Luck!

6. OP
    OP
    tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

Sorry sorry, it's oddly sized, it's a 23 gallon, rounding down. 30x12x15

7. OP
    OP
    tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

Thank all of you for the response, I appreciate it. I didn't realize I hadn't posted a picture of my setup input which included my filter and tank size heh, sorry about that. If you're wondering I have a 23 gallon, 30x12x15

8. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

That stocking should be fine for your tank size. I'd go with all male platies so you're not overrun with fry, and I'd add a few more of the glowlights - bigger groups are better for those.

9. Ryan P

Ryan PValued MemberMember

Same with other's I wouldn't rely on it by itself, but you can use it as a general guideline.

10. OP
    OP
    tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

I currently have 2 females, I was thinking I'd just keep it all females. Would it be possible to try adding another kind of fish to this mix? I added a school of corycats to the aqadvisor and it says it should be fine but I'd much rather have your opinions on it

11. Galathiel

GalathielWell Known MemberMember

My DG is okay with other fish, but they can be shy and need plenty of hiding places. If you want to add cories, I might would not add him.

12. TexasDomer

TexasDomerFishlore LegendMember

I wouldn't add more females then, personally - if they've been kept with a male at the store, they are likely pregnant, and they can produce fry for 6-9 months after being with a male.

I think 6-8 cories (of one species) would be fine too!

13. OP
    OP
    tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

Thank you for the advice :)

14. OP
    OP
    tum0r

tum0rValued MemberMember

I currently have the gourami, he is definitely not shy, he seems to think himself the king of the castle, so to speak. But I have plenty of cover, and I'll take things slow and just try the glowlights first and see how everything gets on before getting anything else.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice