Aqadvisor Stocking Calculator?

  • Thread starter

tum0r

Well Known Member
Messages
516
Reaction score
130
Points
78
Experience
4 years
(I'd like to apologize if this question is in the wrong area) Is this method of calculating your stock accurate, can it be trusted? I know that the inch per gallon rule is quite flawed, I've only been using it as a general rule of thumb because I think as far as space goes it actually works quite well in making sure the fish have adequate swimming space but after inputting my potential stock into thecalculator it says I am only stocked at about 50% when I was thinking I was almost overstocked based on the inch per gallon rule. Should I trust the AqAdvisor? What do you think personally, could I add more fish?
 

Attachments

Ryan P

Valued Member
Messages
312
Reaction score
89
Points
38
Experience
Just started
tank
tum0r said:
(I'd like to apologize if this question is in the wrong area) Is this method of calculating your stock accurate, can it be trusted? I know that the inch per gallon rule is quite flawed, I've only been using it as a general rule of thumb because I think as far as space goes it actually works quite well in making sure the fish have adequate swimming space but after inputting my potential stock into thecalculator it says I am only stocked at about 50% when I was thinking I was almost overstocked based on the inch per gallon rule. Should I trust the AqAdvisor? What do you think personally, could I add more fish?
size?
 

Platylover

Fishlore VIP
Messages
8,519
Reaction score
4,930
Points
608
Experience
5 to 10 years
Yes, tank size will be needed to know whether it’s stocked well or not. As for how accurate AQ is, I always take it with a grain of salt. Simply use it as a reference when needed. There’s so many things that a stock calculator can’t take into consideration. It’s generally best to use things like that to get an idea, but do most of the research and figure out the stocking on your own or get some help from others.
 

dwarfpufferlover

Well Known Member
Messages
571
Reaction score
264
Points
93
Experience
2 years
I tend to search for “experience threads” for stock reliability rather than AQ.

I got burned using aqadvisor and since only use to see how much my filtration can take.
 

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Messages
3,122
Reaction score
4,386
Points
308
Experience
3 years
Bravo! You're asking the right questions. I used the AquaAdvisor when I started but as mentioned it is flawed and just a starting point, it's best to do the research. We have "Veteran Keepers" here whom can give you some "Good" stocking advise. I would wait for them to chime in. Good Luck!
 
  • Thread starter

tum0r

Well Known Member
Messages
516
Reaction score
130
Points
78
Experience
4 years
Ryan P said:
Sorry sorry, it's oddly sized, it's a 23 gallon, rounding down. 30x12x15
 
  • Thread starter

tum0r

Well Known Member
Messages
516
Reaction score
130
Points
78
Experience
4 years
Platylover said:
Yes, tank size will be needed to know whether it’s stocked well or not. As for how accurate AQ is, I always take it with a grain of salt. Simply use it as a reference when needed. There’s so many things that a stock calculator can’t take into consideration. It’s generally best to use things like that to get an idea, but do most of the research and figure out the stocking on your own or get some help from others.
jmaldo said:
Bravo! You're asking the right questions. I used the AquaAdvisor when I started but as mentioned it is flawed and just a starting point, it's best to do the research. We have "Veteran Keepers" here whom can give you some "Good" stocking advise. I would wait for them to chime in. Good Luck!
dwarfpufferlover said:
I tend to search for “experience threads” for stock reliability rather than AQ.

I got burned using aqadvisor and since only use to see how much my filtration can take.
Thank all of you for the response, I appreciate it. I didn't realize I hadn't posted a picture of my setup input which included my filter and tank size heh, sorry about that. If you're wondering I have a 23 gallon, 30x12x15
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,058
Reaction score
9,023
Points
608
Experience
2 years
That stocking should be fine for your tank size. I'd go with all male platies so you're not overrun with fry, and I'd add a few more of the glowlights - bigger groups are better for those.
 

Ryan P

Valued Member
Messages
312
Reaction score
89
Points
38
Experience
Just started
Same with other's I wouldn't rely on it by itself, but you can use it as a general guideline.
 
  • Thread starter

tum0r

Well Known Member
Messages
516
Reaction score
130
Points
78
Experience
4 years
TexasDomer said:
That stocking should be fine for your tank size. I'd go with all male platies so you're not overrun with fry, and I'd add a few more of the glowlights - bigger groups are better for those.
I currently have 2 females, I was thinking I'd just keep it all females. Would it be possible to try adding another kind of fish to this mix? I added a school of corycats to the aqadvisor and it says it should be fine but I'd much rather have your opinions on it
 

Galathiel

Well Known Member
Messages
1,903
Reaction score
1,042
Points
198
Experience
More than 10 years
My DG is okay with other fish, but they can be shy and need plenty of hiding places. If you want to add cories, I might would not add him.
 

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Messages
33,058
Reaction score
9,023
Points
608
Experience
2 years
I wouldn't add more females then, personally - if they've been kept with a male at the store, they are likely pregnant, and they can produce fry for 6-9 months after being with a male.

I think 6-8 cories (of one species) would be fine too!
 
  • Thread starter

tum0r

Well Known Member
Messages
516
Reaction score
130
Points
78
Experience
4 years
TexasDomer said:
I wouldn't add more females then, personally - if they've been kept with a male at the store, they are likely pregnant, and they can produce fry for 6-9 months after being with a male.

I think 6-8 cories (of one species) would be fine too!
Thank you for the advice
 
  • Thread starter

tum0r

Well Known Member
Messages
516
Reaction score
130
Points
78
Experience
4 years
Galathiel said:
My DG is okay with other fish, but they can be shy and need plenty of hiding places. If you want to add cories, I might would not add him.
I currently have the gourami, he is definitely not shy, he seems to think himself the king of the castle, so to speak. But I have plenty of cover, and I'll take things slow and just try the glowlights first and see how everything gets on before getting anything else.
 
Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Aquarium Photo Contests

Follow FishLore!





Top Bottom