Question Appropriate time to add juvenile fish to main tank?

Madchild57

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Hey all,
My cories laid eggs four weeks ago today and I managed to get one egg to hatch and that fish has survived until this point. I didn't catch the exact day it hatched, so I'm assuming its about 3.5 weeks old at this time. Anyway, its grown to about 0.75-ish inches, although its tough to measure without being invasive, but I just put a ruler up to the size of the tank when it's resting near that area. In the last 2 weeks alone, this cory has tripled in size.
When would be an appropriate time to add this baby to my main tank? I don't really have anything that would threaten it besides maybe my angels, but they never interact with the adult cories and I think my baby is too big at this point. My rainbow shark is also very docile for an adult shark (5.5 inches, about a yr old) and doesn't bother any tankmates. I heard 4 months is an appropriate time to add cories after they hatch but that seems exceedingly long especially since this one has grown so big in such a short time. I'm planning to wait a minimum 1-2 more weeks to let this cory grow out a bit more.
1594490047438.png
<-- baby at 10 days, about 0.25-0.33 inches
1594490086003.png
<-- baby today at 24 days, about 0.75 inch looking like a lighter version of the parents' coloring

OP
Madchild57

Madchild57

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
FinalFins said:
As soon as they are bigger than the biggest mouth in the tank they are fine to go in.
sounds good, I wasn't sure if the 4 month rule was because of being outcompeted for food or something similar I overlooked.

Flyfisha

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Don’t think of the other fish in the tank as wither they are aggressive or not, think if they just eat the fry as a snack?

You are right to be concerned about the other fish outcompetIng a small fish for food. Once you put a juvenile in the main tank it becomes impossible to feed it anymore.

With just the one fry you have nothing to test with. If you had 20 you could add one a watch for 48 hours.
Personally I have lost fry from adding to soon . It’s all over very quickly so wait as long as possible.

OP
Madchild57

Madchild57

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Flyfisha said:
Don’t think of the other fish in the tank as wither they are aggressive or not, think if they just eat the fry as a snack?

You are right to be concerned about the other fish outcompetIng a small fish for food. Once you put a juvenile in the main tank it becomes impossible to feed it anymore.

With just the one fry you have nothing to test with. If you had 20 you could add one a watch for 48 hours.
Personally I have lost fry from adding to soon . It’s all over very quickly so wait as long as possible.
Just an update, the baby cory is a little over an inch long at 4 weeks, and he seems to be getting wider too, so he's definitely out of eating range now. I know corys aren't supposed to be alone but I don't want him to not be able to eat in the main tank, so about what size would you recommend to add the baby?

New Threads

Follow FishLore!

FishLore on Social Media

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Aquarium Photo Contests

Aquarium Calculator

Top Bottom