Appropriate tank size for raising

1. Snooky Initiate Member

I have a 12 gallon and my Molly just had 16 fry!!! Do I need to get a bigger tank. They have been doing great for past 10 days with no water changes and normal fish flake food 4x a day. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. I am hooked and would like to continue but am sure tank is way to small.

2. Snooky Initiate Member

Tank Size for Molly Fry and Mom

I have a 12 gallon and my Molly just had 16 fry!!! Do I need to get a bigger tank. They have been doing great for past 10 days with no water changes and normal fish flake food 4x a day. If anyone has any info it would be greatly appreciated. I am hooked and would like to continue but am sure tank is way to small.

3. ray_sj Member Member

Hi Snooky, welcome to Fishlore!

I'd say it's ok for now while they are fry, but you should be doing water changes several times per week. When they get to more than a month old, you should probably move them to a larger tank.

That's been my experience with guppies, anyway.

4. Tony G. Fishlore VIP Member

Welcome to Fishlore!
    :;wv

Congrats on the Fry! Whenever i have fry i still do my maintinance. Especially since you're feeding a lot the babies might not eat it all so the waste stays at the bottom which could lead you to an ammonia spike. So i suggest you keep up with your waterchanges.

As far as upgrading them, you could later on. they wont grow much LOL Like Ray said after about a month you could upgrade them. If you plan on keeping the tank then i would try and go as large as possible on the tank, as mollies get rather large (some up to 4 inches!)

You can check craigslist.com or kiji or freecycle for any used aquariums. Many members have gotten alot of tanks through craigslist, as alot of people are giving up the hobby.

have fun with your fry!
    :;HI1

5. peacemaker92 Well Known Member Member

Congrats! You'll surely need a bigger tank, as said above :) Hope to see photos along the way. Good luck! :;hf