Appropriate tank mate for betta?

Discussion in 'Polls' started by JoannaB, Jan 9, 2013.

?

Tankmate for betta? I know it depends on personality, but which would you risk.

1. Snail

65.4%
  2. Shrimp

26.9%
  3. Cories

30.8%
  4. None

11.5%
  5. Other

26.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. JoannaB

JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

I am wondering what people think about betta tank mates. Any personal experiences especially appreciated.

2. JDcichlidlover

JDcichlidloverWell Known MemberMember

i put harliquin rasporas in with my moms crowntail in her 15 gal tank. they're quick enough to not get bullied by the betta but docile enough to not bother him. mom says they swim around together occasionally. I've heard of red cherry shrimp being a good tank mate in a heavily planted tank

3. monkeypie102

monkeypie102Well Known MemberMember

Your going to hear lots of people say they need to be alone in any tank but I have always kept my bettas with other fish/inverts with little issues... my latest betta shared with
    6black neons
    4 black skirt tetras
    6 albino cories
    6 otos 4 mystery snails....
    And my other share with
    20+ red cherry shrimp, 3 mystery snails and 10 trapdoor snails and 3 rosy red minnows... it just depends on the betta in question as they are all different...

4. Akari_32

Akari_32Fishlore LegendMember

I've kept bettas with all kinds of fish. Goldfish, pearl gourami, Endlers, least killifish, guppies, plecos, neon tetras, black neons, cherry barbs, plecos, ottos, shrimp, snails.... It just depends on tank size and each fishes individual temperament. some bettas don't mind sharing their tank, some don't like certain types of fish, and some just don't like anything. Likewise, other fish can like or dislike other species of fish.

5. AmazonPassion

AmazonPassionModeratorModerator Member

6. QQQUUUUAADDD

QQQUUUUAADDDWell Known MemberMember

7. Tonia

ToniaWell Known MemberMember

My wonderful boy betta Gabriel is currently sharing a tank with
    6 blue neons
    6 glass bloodfins
    2 bristle nose plecos
    1 Black rubber eel
    innumerable Malaysian Trumpet snails

Gabriel is the king.. he'll chase the bloodfins occasionally, but none of them ever chase him and they seem to think it's funny, they swim much faster than he can with that gorgeous tail trailing behind him.

If you add anyone, make sure they are smaller fish and relatively docile, yet quick in case he goes through a spat of temper. Also provide hiding places. Gabriel has a favorite driftwood that shelters a small grove of duckweed and frogbit that he likes to hang out in and perform his sneak attacks on the bloodfins. I am also able to give him his special bloodworm treats there so that I'm positive he gets his special treat before the others can eat it.

8. throwthesand

throwthesandValued MemberMember

I have three different types of snails: Golden Inca, Yellow Antennae, and Zebra. But my favorite betta tank mates are my two african dwarf frogs. They are SUPER active, SUPER fun, and SUPER easy to take care of!! There is a very very very low risk of them being attacked and they eat whatever food falls to the bottom! You can even buy them algae wafers or a Egeria Densa plant that they love to eat and crawl under. Even the betta will like the plant! They have the same temp. needs and will get along with pretty much any other fish. You can also get ghost shrimp, but don't put them in with the frogs or they'll get eaten :(. Hope I help!!!

9. Nikita

NikitaWell Known MemberMember

I've had a handful of tankmates with a betta including: Netrite Snails, MTS, Pond Snails, RCS, Amano Shrimp, Ghost Shrimp, Bronze Cories, Peppered Cories, Julii Cories, Neon Tetra, Harlequin Rasboras, Honey Gourami, Mollies, Platies, Guppies, and Cardinal Tetra. All my bettas did great with their tankmates, no killing whatsoever. I guess I was lucky.

10. kinezumi89

kinezumi89Fishlore VIPMember

I've always kept bettas with snails without problem. However my mom's last betta relentlessly attacked the snail if it climbed up on the tank walls. She's always kept a single cory with her bettas (before I joined FishLore and knew cories were schooling fish - however they always lived long happy lives). It just depends on the betta.

I've always been staunchly against fish-fish (as opposed to bottom feeders/inverts) in betta tanks, but there are many members who've done it with success. It just depends on the betta, and as long as you have a backup plan I think you can proceed with caution, should you want to try it. You could try keeping one with a snail, and see if he goes after their antennae. Then some cheap ghost shrimp, and see if he's interested in them, since they're more active. If he behaves himself, then try with fish-fish, so long as you can separate them if there are problems.

I have two bettas, both halfmoons - Boris and Vlad. I got Boris first; very mellow, didn't bother any of the snails in his tank (nerites and MTS). I bought him because he looked healthy and I loved his colors (black with a green/blue/gold sheen, depending on the angle). I bought Vlad because I loved his colors and he seemed very active and interested in me, constantly swimming against the cup's edge. I figured active = healthy! Well, it probably does, but in my case it also = antagonizing towards other bettas. I put them in a divided 10 gallon and Vlad constantly flared at Boris, causing him to nip at his fins. Poor Boris, minding his own business. Needless to say, I'm separating them this weekend.

Sorry for the autobiography :p Anyway, in conclusion, it depends on the fish. If you want to try it, then I would make sure you can either separate them or take them back immediately should problems arise.

Edit: Woops, I never actually answered the question. I've kept them with snails only. My mom has kept them with snails and a cory cat. I've never tried fish-fish before.

11. Siggi

SiggiWell Known MemberMember

Give the betta some of its own kind, poor thing.

12. throwthesand

throwthesandValued MemberMember

Bettas are very aggressive towards others of their kind... even the females can be nasty. They are called fighting fish in many places. People actually fight and bet n which fish will win.

13. kinezumi89

Male bettas mustn't be kept together or they will fight. Males and females mustn't be kept together or the male will relentlessly chase the female. Females can be kept in sororities but they are like a tall Jenga tower; one wrong move and it comes toppling down.

Edit: Woops, ninja-ed :;nin2

14. Junne

JunneFishlore LegendMember

I have had a Betta with a mystery snail ( didn't work out and the male Betta ended up attacking it )
    Same Betta had about 100 MTS snails with no problems.

My current Betta lives with about 300 MTS snails and he doesn't even notice them.

I personally wouldn't chance it with any other fish unless you have another tank in case the worst case scenario happens.

15. Siggi

SiggiWell Known MemberMember

Just a joke, but apparently you took it for a serious comment. Sorry.

16. OP
    OP
    JoannaB

JoannaBWell Known MemberMember

Siggi, That's why God created the smiley character :) to allow us to indicate jokes in online forums. :)

17. soltarianknight

soltarianknightFishlore VIPMember

Meh, i would say whatever works. Most schooling fish and non-betta/gourami/cichlids tend to work out just fine. The problem is when the betta doesn't think so. There is certainly no need at all for tankmates, they do not want nor request them.

In terms of what is "appropriate" i think i can draw some rough guidelines on that
    1.nothing in the betta/gourami/cichlid area
    2. nothing of similar size with a ton of color
    3. avoid long flashy fins(think fancy guppies)
    4. nothing too territorial
    5. nothing that nips
    a good tank mate would be
    1. smaller or larger then the betta
    2. if is smaller, a schooling fish.
    3. something that won't be pushed over to easy
    4. if it is a larger fish, peaceful and uncaring of the betta

What I have kept well with bettas include black neons, sword tails(in a 37gal with a female, wouldn't do it with a male), plecos, cory, various snails however one of my males gets their eyes, loachs of any species, peaceful danio species.
    I also have goldbarbs, the thing about them is that they are actually larger then bettas and super peaceful. They don't really care for the betta at all even when she postures off. They are big enough that she can't bully them for food and it all works out.

18. endurance12

endurance12New MemberMember

Hi :) I am new here but i just wanted to ask a quick question.

I just recently (two weeks ago) bought a betta fish and put it in a 2.5 gallon tank with a filter, heater and live plants. However, I also have a 20 gallon tank with 9 glowlights tetras.

I was wondering if it would be okay to insert the betta into the bigger tank. Would it be happier? Will the glowlights get stressed? How about the beta? also, how would i feed the betta its food without the other fish eating it.

19. kinezumi89

Welcome to FishLore!

As I'm sure you've read in posts above you, it depends on the fish. Some bettas would be just fine with your tetras, in which case he would love the bigger space. Other bettas might attack the tetras, or the tetras might attack the betta! (I believe glowlights might be a nippier variety. I've not kept them, so I'm sure someone else will comment.)

The important thing is to have a backup plan, which you already do - the 2.5 gallon tank. If you try it and it doesn't work, though, I would highly suggest at least getting him a 5 gallon tank. He'd really appreciate the extra space. :)

You may find you get more responses if you make your own thread in the betta forum. Go here: and click on " + Post New Thread " in the upper left corner. Write your spiel, hit post, and wait for other members to reply. Joanna's very nice though and I don't think she'll mind too much that you borrowed her thread ;)

20. Cyndi Warren

Cyndi WarrenValued MemberMember

My Betta ate my 2 ghost shrimp in no time flat - now living in shrimp heaven :;fishy10
    (Bad LFS advice.)

I tried a mystery snail and he was harrassed and intimidated by the Betta - now living in 10 gal.
    (Bad LFS advice.)

I got two nerite snails to treat algae.
    Betta was curious at first but now completely ignores them. yay!
    (Good advice form FL.com forums - as usual!) :)