Appropriate Tank for Angels

1. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Hello. I'm just looking for some help with determining proper tank size for Angelfish. I have a different thread in another section on here where I'm exploring fish options in two different tank sizes. But, the more I think about it, the more I'd like an Angel tank, which brings me on here. I was wondering if anyone with Angelfish experience can point me in the right direction regarding appropriate tanks for Angels.

I'm scoping out used tanks on Craigslist for a possible bedroom set up. The two tanks I've found that I'd like to explore are a 44 gallon pentagon tank, and a 30 gallon half moon acryllic tank. I'm aware that both tanks are tall with a shorter length than most conventional tanks. I've heard contradicting information in the past regarding whether or not the shape I'm looing at is actually good for Angels or not. Please advise me as to whether or not either or both of these would be a good fit for an Angel tank, or at least a tank where an Angel is the centerpiece. In the event that neither of these will work for what I'm looking to do, please advise me as to what I should be looking for. Thanks in advance!

2. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I think you should get the 44 Pentagon.i wouldn't but more than one angel in anything less than a 30 gallon so the 44 is a better option.

3. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Thanks! I'm waiting to hear back from the seller of the 44 with measurements to be sure it's even going to fit in the space I have for it. Do you think this tank is good for Angels, or is it just the better of the two options? Are you saying the 30 half moon won't work or just isn't as good as the other option? I just want to clarify because you advised nothing below 30 gallons for an Angel, but the 30 is not smaller than 30...

4. BamBamSorg Well Known Member Member

I think bizaliz3 could chim in and help u out :)

5. bizaliz3 Fishlore VIP Member

I think the 44 gallon Pentagon tank would be a good size for a single angel. But it would be too cramped with any other middle swimmers imo.

44 gallons is a nice size...but the overall swim space is a bit small due to the shape. However...if there is any fish that could appreciate, or benefit by, some extra height...it would be an angelfish!

Do you hope to keep other fish too? If so...what did you have in mind? Were you hoping to have multiple angels?

6. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I think there angels would be ok with some Otto's and Cory's.it depends on the dimensions though.

7. Dave125g Fishlore VIP Member

Angles can get up to 10 inches tall (some of them) . All you need for them is a tall tank

8. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Thanks, everyone! bizaliz3, it would be nice to keep a few Angels, but I know it's not going to happen in the tanks I'm looking at right now. Instead, if I could get a setup where one Angel was the centerpiece, I'd be happy. I wanted to do a blue theme, and I'd be excited if I could have a white Angel with some other fish that are blue. Originally, I was thinking Turquoise and/or Praecox Rainbows, but on another thread, I was told that would never work in either of these tanks. I've also considered Apistos, Rams, Blue Danios, and Cories (which I know aren't blue). Probably a few blue Apistos are the leader at this point.
    However, now I have another issue. I heard back from the seller of the 44 gallon pentagon tank, and it's likely not going to fit in the space I have. Is the 30 half moon at all suitable for what I'm trying to do?

9. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Hello, again. I just wanted to come back to check on something. The 44 Pentagon isn't going to work in the space I have. Can I make the Half Moon work, or even a 20H, or a 29? Or, must I say goodbye to my dream of an Angel in the bedroom?

10. Pikachu13131 Member Member

I would only do one pair in the halfmoon tank with no top or middle dwelling fish.

11. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

So, you think I can do two Angels in the Half Moon, but no other fish at all?

12. Pikachu13131 Member Member

Mabye some pygmy Cory's or anything that's small and bottom dwelling.wjat are the tank dimensions?

13. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

According to the guy selling it, it's 20"x20"x20", but I can't find anything online that confirms that being accurate for such a tank.

14. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

You can put a pair in a 29g or a single angel with a school of something.

would a 40g breeder fit in the space?

15. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

No chance for a 40 breeder, unfortunately. The three sizes I listed above, as far as I've been able to find, are all that will fit.

16. Pikachu13131 Member Member

That's almost 35 gallons,you can have a school of black skirt tetras angels won't eat them.

17. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

It is...? Oh, nice. Ok. That's weird, because I was starting to think that was actually less than 30 based on what I was finding. But this is good to know.

18. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

If the halfmoon tank is 20x20x20 inches, it won't work for an angel.

I think a 29 gal with a single angel is your best best.

19. JGombs99 Well Known Member Member

Thanks, TexasDomer! Do you think the 29 would be good for an Angel, or just the best with my current options, but still not a great idea? I ask as was also the case with my 55, I don't want to upgrade down the line. If I do this, I want it to be good for life. Also, if I do this, would the tank be able to house only one Angel, or could I put other fish in, too? Lastly, is there a chance of the 20H working, or is the 29 really the only possibility with my options?

20. TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

No to the 20 high.

An angel will work in a 29 gal with other fish if you're careful with stocking. I prefer a larger tank for an angel, but a 29 gal will work for a single.