appropriate light block

featherblue
I added a plant led over the second chamber in my 12g biocube today, and moved innsome chato. When the display lights turned off I noticed a lot of light leaking/spilling into the supposed to be dark display. I turned it off for tonight, but I'm considering options to solve this. A light shield I can put unto the led and stop reflection into tge display would be perfect. I was thinking acrylic.....but where do you buy sheets of non transparent acrylic?

Mike
What if you just spray painted the clear acyrlic?

outlaw
Also, if you don't want to paint. You could use vinyl sticker or the backing for aquariums.

At our local hardware store they also have smoke (like tinted), mirror and frosted along with the clear. You may be able to order an opaque sheet from the store. They might have a minimum sheet size limit though

Temp solution may be to use some aluminum foil? Provided its not in the water

I've never used them. But maybe a possibility?

featherblue
Both are options I'm considering.....but I know there's materials that wouldn't do well in my sw tank.

What paint options/style do I use for an area that will get splashed, but should be above the water line?
is the "window replacement" clear acrylic at the hardware store tank safe?

outlaw
Don't quote me on this, but I would say yes. Until you asked that, I wouldn't have even thought about it before putting in/on my tank (which i've done). Also, I have seen many people using acrylic in sumps and refugiums. I think the important part, is just making sure the silicone is aquarium safe (if used).

What about -
Found this searching through another forum. Looks like you would have to get the 12x24 sheet to get full coverage if your tank dimensions are this; 15.8" (L) x 13.8" (W) x 14.8" (H). $12 + shipping and goes through amazon. (With shipping 12x24 to my zip in WI, was under $20). Seems like a good price to me.

Or -

It's the same size; 12x24, but 1/8 thick instead of 1/16. A little cheaper up front but not sure what shipping would be.

The 1/16 sheet would probably do fine provided you aren't setting anything on it or "man-handling" it. Also, being ABS plastic, it should be stronger than standard acrylic.

Hope that helps,
Outlaw

featherblue
We have a tap plastic here in town, ill look for that sort of sheeting and see what they've got

Latest threads

Top Bottom