Apple vs. Nerite

JRDroid

The algae on the glass in my 55 is getting out of hand. I just scrubbed it yesterday and it already needs done again. I already have cories for the bottom so I don't want a bottom fish (yes I know cories don't eat algae, that was not the point of getting them). I like the idea of one giant snail, but don't know how good at algae eating they are. Nerites are my next choice and I was thinking like 4 would be good for a 55.

Kupcake

Here is a link about this very topic:

Mystery snails do not eat algea.

Nerites are supposedly awsome algae eaters.

JRDroid

That thread doesn't talk about apple snails, which is what I am trying to find out about. On top of that, the consensus from that thread is oto's, which is not something I am even considering. So the only common species between the two threads is nerites.

EDIT: I didn't realize that Apple Snails were a variety of mystery snail. I just found out upon further research. Although I am getting mixed reports about whether or not the eat algae off of glass.

Also are there any other varieties of snail that are good for eating algae off glass. It is ok if they reproduce because I plan on getting a pea puffer that can feast on baby snails daily if needed.

Kupcake

Nerites are the best algae eater snail.

Mystery snails (the most common apple snail in the US trade market) does NOT eat algea, trust me

Cannas (another type of apple snail that is banned in most of the US and hard to find) will eat all live plants, but I am unsure about its usefulness against algea. This snail grows to be the size of a baseball.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
MangoPineapple
  • Question
Replies
Views
Pbrown
Replies
Views
Mermish
  • Question