Help Apple Tree Branch How To?

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
So I have a ton of apple trees out in my yard and my husband brought this one in for my aquarium. I know apple wood is ok to use but my problem is I can’t seem to get all the bark off. Anyone have any ideas? Is it just not dry enough? It has been off the tree for a least 6 months. It’s 5’5” long so I don’t have anything big enough to soak it in. This was from my yard so I know there have been no pesticides used on it or around it.

Also do you think this branch would be dangerous for my Severums and blood parrots? I question the little spikes that come off each branch but I think it would look so good in my tank.

Any suggestions would be helpful, thank you so much.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
If the bark is tough to get off I would say it’s freahly fallen n will need to wait a season or two till it falls off on its own

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
If the bark is tough to get off I would say it’s freahly fallen n will need to wait a season or two till it falls off on its own
Yes it was broken and hanging there off the tree and my husband brought it in about 6 months ago. So I should just stick it somewhere for a couple years before I should use it?

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yes it was broken and hanging there off the tree and my husband brought it in about 6 months ago. So I should just stick it somewhere for a couple years before I should use it?
unless there is maybe a way to boil it depending on the size ( it appears pretty big ) you could get a metal trash can fill with water and put it in the middle of your firepit if you have one and try to boil it to see if that helps with the removal of the bark. Never used wild wood i'm just thinking out loud :)

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
unless there is maybe a way to boil it depending on the size ( it appears pretty big ) you could get a metal trash can fill with water and put it in the middle of your firepit if you have one and try to boil it to see if that helps with the removal of the bark. Never used wild wood i'm just thinking out loud :)
It’s around 5’5” and 3’ wide. Lol I don’t think I can’t find much that I could boil that in. Errr now I have to wait years to use it. Lol

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
It’s around 5’5” and 3’ wide. Lol I don’t think I can’t find much that I could boil that in. Errr now I have to wait years to use it. Lol
What size tank were u planning on adding it to? Maybe you could trim it down a bit to fit in a large plastic tote and still use all the pieces by intertwining them.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
What size tank were u planning on adding it to? Maybe you could trim it down a bit to fit in a large plastic tote and still use all the pieces by intertwining them.
210 gallon tank 6’x2’. I wonder if just soaking it would work? I don’t think I can boil it. Lol

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
210 gallon tank 6’x2’. I wonder if just soaking it would work? I don’t think I can boil it. Lol
I would do a bit more looking around to see if the bark is safe to add to the tank. I wouldn't risk my stock. But that's me. Do you have pics of the tank and inhabitants? Sounds quite nice :)

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I would do a bit more looking around to see if the bark is safe to add to the tank. I wouldn't risk my stock. But that's me. Do you have pics of the tank and inhabitants? Sounds quite nice :)
Yea I’m not sure on the bark. I can’t find much that’s why I wanted to see what people said on here. I won’t risk putting it in my tank unless I get several opinions. Lol
IMG_3449.JPG

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Yea I’m not sure on the bark. I can’t find much that’s why I wanted to see what people said on here. I won’t risk putting it in my tank unless I get several opinions. Lol View attachment 623901
WOAH!!! What a great looking set up. Like you mentioned i think i would steer clear of the skinny branchy wood and look for a nice stump type piece that would fit on the right side even if it comes out of the tank a bit. WTG!! very envious :)

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
WOAH!!! What a great looking set up. Like you mentioned i think i would steer clear of the skinny branchy wood and look for a nice stump type piece that would fit on the right side even if it comes out of the tank a bit. WTG!! very envious :)
Thank you! I love it. On the left side I have driftwood like stacked up but nothing on the right side. It’s kind of hard to see because I took one of the lights and put it up above my pothos and the other light is centered on the tank. Kind of odd but the lights were too strong and with these fish I can’t have plants, they ate all of them. I bought the lights specifically for plants before knowing what Severums do you plants. Lol

As to buying a piece of driftwood that I guess is my plan now it is just so expensive here. For a small piece like 2’x2’ is around 100 bux:(

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thank you! I love it. On the left side I have driftwood like stacked up but nothing on the right side. It’s kind of hard to see because I took one of the lights and put it up above my pothos and the other light is centered on the tank. Kind of odd but the lights were too strong and with these fish I can’t have plants, they ate all of them. I bought the lights specifically for plants before knowing what Severums do you plants. Lol

As to buying a piece of driftwood that I guess is my plan now it is just so expensive here. For a small piece like 2’x2’ is around 100 bux:(
I'm sure you already searched a lot of sites. But i got pieces from both manzanita driftwood and dustins fistanks and all of it was well worth it. may be worth taking another look.
Manzanita - 36" and up (oversize) - Manzanita-Driftwood.com

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
We’re they xxxlarge? That’s what I am trying to find because this tank is like 3’tall maybe more I’m just guessing. Lol that’s why I need a whole tree branch I am trying to break the line of sight because there is too much free space up top.

kallililly1973

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
We’re they xxxlarge? That’s what I am trying to find because this tank is like 3’tall maybe more I’m just guessing. Lol that’s why I need a whole tree branch I am trying to break the line of sight because there is too much free space up top.
No the tallest one i seen was 26" for 80-90$ and i'm sure a lot more once shipping is added in.

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
No the tallest one i seen was 26" for 80-90$ and i'm sure a lot more once shipping is added in.
Yea see that won’t work. I have a ton of driftwood but I want one big long piece. I’m sure you know what I am trying to accomplish but don’t want to spend 200-300 bux on a piece of wood. A huge branch would be perfect. Lol

scarface

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
@scarface do you have any idea on this apple tree branch?
Can't say I do, unfortunately. I would think after 6 months, the wood is well-aged, but not certain about whether the bark will pose a problem. I don't think it will, but I can't say for certain. Knowing myself, If I like it enough, I'd probably throw it in, and see what happens. Probably not the answer you're wanting, but that's honestly what I usually do (obviously with some commen sense and rationalizing).

Nikki2577

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Can't say I do, unfortunately. I would think after 6 months, the wood is well-aged, but not certain about whether the bark will pose a problem. I don't think it will, but I can't say for certain. Knowing myself, If I like it enough, I'd probably throw it in, and see what happens. Probably not the answer you're wanting, but that's honestly what I usually do.
Lol Well that’s why I asked you:) I knew I would get this kind of answer. I am thinking on the same lines as you, now I just have to get the nerve up to stick it in the tank. Thank you very much for your opinion on this branch.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom