Apple Snails

1. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

anybody have apple snails here and if so do they eat your plants or algae

2. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have had them in the past and although they were fascinating to watch I didn't notice them eating algae or plants.
    For more information look here:
    www.applesnail.net
    Carol

3. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

yup have been researching there though i have heard they eat algae and how bout malaysian trumpet snails will they work in gravel

4. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

I have MTS in just about all my tanks(especially the sand ones) and they do a great job of keeping the substrate aereated. Haven't noticed them eating plants, but if a leaf is dying they will eat that.
    Carol

5. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

would it be ok for them to be in my 29 gallon tank with gravel and do they ever become too much of a pest?

6. vin Well Known Member Member

I would add only one if it were me. Snails reproduce like crazy laying hundreds of eggs....usually out of the water.....It's also important to remember that if you have any sort of loaches in your tank that they will more than likely eat the snails.

I just inherited snails in a plant that I just got. They're less than the size of a ladybug...I'm fishing them out and bringing them back to the store......

My son wants to keep them and name them - "Gary", from Spongebob of course - and "Larry" - the one that replaced Gary when he left Spongebob for Patrick!! LOL!!!

I haven't figured out a way to tell them they've got to go.

7. atmmachine816 Fishlore VIP Member

but i had thought that malasyian trumpets snails the more the merrieer

8. vin Well Known Member Member

I'm not too sure about varieties, all I know is that they can multiply in a hurry..... :eek: And if your tank has enough food for them it might work or they will turn to whatever is available......like plants......