Apple Snails--initially putting them in a tank

1. Robin4 Member Member

Hello Everyone,

I have ordered some Apple snails and I was wondering if I can just put them in my f.w. 20 gal right when I get them. They don't have to be acclimated like fish do they?

I'm so excited... they are PURPLE!!!

Robin

2. eiginh Well Known Member Member

I would acclimate them first just to be on the safe side.

3. Robin4 Member Member

Jeepers - you would? In that case I'm going to have to teach my mom how to do it as she is the one that will accept the package when it comes in the mail!!!

Thanks,
    Robin

4. eiginh Well Known Member Member

I acclimated mine but I didn't follow the complete steps of acclimating them. I first let the the temp get adjusted within 15 min then pour half a cup of water from the bag and into the sink and pour in half a cup of water from the tank into the bag for an hour every 10-15 minutes. The snail was doing ok.

5. Robin4 Member Member

ok thanks

6. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

eiginh has some good ideas for your snails. That's about all I do for mine.

Just makes sure your mom knows that the snails are NOT likely to move for 24-48 hours upon arrival in their new home. They're gonna pout. A lot. But they're not dead. Mystery snails are kinda drama queens. :p

PURPLE! You're SO lucky! ;D I can't wait for pics.

7. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Robin. When I bought and added my Mystery Snails...I did the drop and plop method. Let them soak in the bag inside the tank matching the temperatures then I just added them right into the tank. Everything has been fine. :) I can't wait for photos! Purple? wow! I'm excited for you!
    Ken

8. Robin4 Member Member

Honestly that's the way I'd like to do it (drop & plop) b/c my mom will be there to recieve them while I am at work. I don't want to shock them and I'm sure putting their bag in the tank water to acclimate them to the temp. will be easy for her. The rest probably will to.

I'll try to get some good pictures during that time when they are still.

I didn't know they are drama queens!!! Those of you that have them, do they escape from the tank often??

Robin

9. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

I've never had mine escape, and I have a pretty large hole in the back of lid where the cords come through. But, I hear some members have a particular snail that is always being naughty and escaping. I guess it's just a personality thing. They can actually survive out of water for days; the problem is they risk damaging their shell in the fall.

10. Robin4 Member Member

That's what I've read... I'll just have to keep an eye on them! :)

11. eiginh Well Known Member Member

Mine never escaped either just be careful!

12. Robin4 Member Member

They've arrived!!

The snails arrived today :) They look great and are already active in the tank. I did acclimate them to the temp of the tank for 30 minutes and then for at least 15 minutes, I very slowly added a tiny amount of tank water to the bag they were shipped in.

When I added them to the tank, two of them floated for a while and the third went to the gravel. They are now exploring the tank and everyone else in there has no problem with them...

Unfortunately when I try to download pictures thru the "manage attachments", it kicks me out and won't let me!!! It seems to be working fine when I choose the pictures but after maybe 30 seconds of waiting for them to download, the screen just goes white--no download. :(

Have any of you tried canned green beans in the tank for the snails??

Robin

13. eiginh Well Known Member Member

That is great news! Make sure you keep an eye of them in case they wander outside the tank :)

14. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

That white screen usually means the file is too big. Can you crop the pic first, then load?

A major problem I see with any canned veggie is they're extremely salty. Even if you rinsed them, they've absorbed quite a bit of salt and could pollute the water or even hurt your snails.

I stick to fresh or frozen.

15. Robin4 Member Member

The snails

OH!!!!!! Okay, I'll resize them. Here they are. I'll forego the canned veggies then. I didn't know about the salt.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

16. iloveengl Well Known Member Member

WOW! Robin - they're b-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l!

Congrats on your new snail babies!!! :D

17. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello Robin! Yeah!!!!! Wow! I love the purple! I know you're going to enjoy them.
    Great tip above about not using canned veggies because of salt content. My snails love fresh zucchini. I drop in a slice at night and remove any remains the next morning. Zucchini has calcium which the snails need for a healthy shell. Adding an egg shell to your tank will also add calcium.
    Keep us posted!
    Ken

18. Robin4 Member Member

Thanks! I already love them.... :)

I do have shrimp and I give them fresh zuchinni and frozen peas. I've tried (fresh) dried pumpkin but that didn't go over too well with them!

With the eggshells, do I boil the egg first and would I just use one egg at a time for a 20 gal tank?

Robin

19. Butterfly Moderator Moderator Member

Love your snails! Mine are in a tank right beside my chair in the living room. when I put zuchinni in it's almost like you can see them running to get on it. It is is really funny to see them parasnailing from the surface.
    Enjoy!
    Carol

20. Robin4 Member Member

Thanks..... I have noticed they are quick little swimmers!

Robin