Apple snails have holes in shell and look "eroded"?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by animalsareawesome, Jul 18, 2015.

1. a

animalsareawesome New Member Member

Hello!

So I have 3 apple snails, one very large one, and two that are about medium size along with 4 small male guppies that do not bother the snails. I have noticed that they have holes and eroded parts that are white on the swirly parts of their shells (like the really swirly small part, excuse my lack of a proper term). One actually has an open crack on his shell, that ends before it hits the end of his shell, like it looks like the Red Sea, but he is doing fine. I have two pieces of cuttlebone in my tank and I occasionally scrape off some cuttlebone dust in there too. I want to know how I can fix this problem, and what the most effective way is to add calcium to the tank and if it is possible to have too much calcium in the tank. :;snail:;snail

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I just got my Aquarium Tets Kit 2 days ago, so this is the 2nd time I am testing it.
    Aquarium Levels:

Ammonia - 4 ppm (doing water changes to fix that)

Nitrate - 40-80 ppm also doing water changes to fix that)

Nitrite - 0 ppm

PH - 6

Thank you so much for all of you help!!!!!!

2. Bijou88

Bijou88 Well Known Member Member

The swirly bit is old damage, I'm not sure there's any fix for that, most of my bought snails have it too.

I also have one with a cracked shell, she came that way, the crack should repair itself over time if your snail is getting lots of calcium.

A good source is food, leafy greens, squash and green beans are all high in calcium and your snails will love them :) You can also make snail jello (Google snail jello, you'll get lots of recipes), I'm planning to make some this weekend, I got NOW brand powdered calcium carbonate to add in, it's fairly cheap.

I think it would be pretty hard to get too much calcium, especially if most of it comes from food.

To add, make sure you keep your ammonia (and nitrites when you have them) as low as you possibly can, snails don't go through cycles very well, they're pretty sensitive.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

3. OP
    OP
    a

Thanks so much!!! I had heard that Apple Snails need a PH of at least 7, and I have these "correct PH" block things that bring it up to 7, but it says not to make more than a .5 change in PH in 24 hours, so I don't really know how to change it properly. Any ideas?

4. Bijou88

One of the most favored ways to raise your ph is to put crushed coral in a bag in your filter, or just in the tank. I've never had to raise my ph since it's at least 8 always here, so I'm not much use in that dept.

5. OP
    OP
    a

thank you so much!!! i am going to the pet store to get some crushed coral. Thank you so much for all of your help!

6. Bijou88

No problem, glad to help! Have fun with your new snails! :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice