Apple Snail, what plants will they NOT eat?

Miss

Hey folks,
Last summer I purchased a “mystery apple snail” egg clutch from someone on eBay. Certainly NOT mystery snails lol
They’re channel apple snails, if my ID is correct. My fish certainly enjoyed eating them. Saved about 20 of the babies, fed the ones that developed slower to my large cichlids.

Now I have about 6-7 in my 20gal with a breeding pair of convicts (male is pink, about 2-3 years old and 3-3.5”, his female is het for pink and about 2-2.5”, so they’re not terribly big for the 20gal and they usually live in a 75gal… but two breeding pairs in one tank makes it unpleasant for the other fish, even just one pair can be a nightmare. This is the same 20gal the pair produced fry in last summer, and their offspring are the pair remaining in the 75gal currently, that are looking for a new home).

was hoping to breed the apple snails for FOOD ONLY, but with how fast my other snail species are multiplying, I might not. They’re kind of a pain since I’m bananas over aquarium plants, and they haven’t produced a single clutch yet.
so far, the only plant I can reliably say they won’t eat is anacharis (egeria densa sp?).
just wondering if there’s any other plants I can put in that tank safely. Aside from the anacharis, that tank is basically a duckweed and plant-scrap dump, and every bit of GSA is off the glass now haha. At this point I’m more just curious to see how large the snails will grow.

*I am aware this is an invasive species. They are in an enclosed environment with zero possibility of invading natural waterways. I do not distribute them to anyone, aside from my fish as snacks.
I’m just a bit of a nerd.

image.jpg

richiep

What is in the plants they are eating,look at the size on them, take the plants out and put stone ones in, your food bill will be hìiiiigh

Miss

What is in the plants they are eating,look at the size on them, take the plants out and put stone ones in, your food bill will be hìiiiigh
as long as I just know what plants they won’t eat I’ll be okay.
I have 20 aquariums and probably 20+ plastic containers/ 5gal buckets with plants in them, so there’s always stuff I’d probably just be throwing out (the other day I cleared the top off a 5gal bucket that was 1-1.5” thick of duckweed, plants that didn’t take to a new tank, plants coated in algae from new tanks that are cycling… but mainly duckweed).
Just pop it in that aquarium with those snails instead of a landfill.
Did you know landfill waste is the 3rd largest contributor to greenhouse gases (global warming)? :eek:

I also have a composting bin for food waste with 10 species of cockroaches, various isopods species, a couple beetle species, springtails, even an ant colony moved in lol
They can eat about a pound of food scraps a day.

Pfrozen

Unfortunately these guys will even eat anubias plants. Speaking from personal experience

Miss

Unfortunately these guys will even eat anubias plants. Speaking from personal experience
Right? They’ll even eat water lettuce, which is poisonous… so that threw that plant out the window immediately. Now I separate out any water lettuce from scraps I’m throwing in there. Can’t really feel comfortable feeding snails with toxins in them to fish.
I can easily see why/how this genus (save for the native ones and mystery snails) can become such a problem. They are literal garbage disposals.

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
  • PlanetRock
  • Snails
Replies
Views
PlanetRock
  • Question
  • MupsIsLife
  • Snails
Replies
Views