Apple Snail help (Gold Mystery Snail)

1. JamesTosches Initiate Member

Hey guys. I wanted to know what kind of soil/gravel/pebbles apple snails like at the bottom of their tank. Also, I have Algae wafers and Tropical fish food flakes. Is that sufficient for an apple snail?I have large light blue stones and fine natural looking gravel (pebble-sized). Any help?

2. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

Hi there, welcome to Fishlore! Also, welcome to snail keeping! :D

Apples are fascinating little creatures. :) I've had my snails on bare bottom, sand, and small gravel. I'm not really sure which one they prefer, but I would say go with the gravel, as it is easier for them to glide along, and it has more give than larger stones whn they glide of fall from the top of the tank.

As for food, alage wafers are a great start. They also like brine shrimp pellets, and fresh veggies like zucchini, cucumber, and lettuce. They will eat fallen fish flakes, but I wouldn't cause a waste build up trying to feed it to them.

I must ask, after looking at your aquarium info, if the snail is in the 1 gallon bowl with the 5 neons?

If so, an immediate upgrade is in order. Apples produce a TON of waste. They also get to be about the size of a ping pong ball. And, they are very sensitive to water conditions, as are your neons. If you have 1 or 2 of them, a 10 gallon would be a good size. Neither your snail(s) nor neons can live in a 1 gallon.

3. JamesTosches Initiate Member

Thanks so much, Laura! :) Would the single apple snail do good in a 1 gallon tank ALONE? Or would I have to upgrade even for the single snail? xD

Thanks

4. MD Angels Well Known Member Member

You're Welcome, James :)

Unfortunately, no, they need more space too. If you got a 10 gallon, you could have the snail, neons, and maybe a honey gourami, or a few guppies if you like those, and a few other options.
    And, you could keep the 1 gallon, throw in some java moss add some red cherry shrimp! :D