apple snail floating?

lolagurl
I put my apple snail in the tank and it floated.. so I put it in a cave so it could latch on easier..still hasnt latched on, when I got it it was fine?

Tom
It should still be fine, it just some excess air in it's system and needs to let it out. The way I got my snails to sink, was I pushed ever so gently on the part they pull in to protect themselves while underwater and it released to excess air and they sank and then came out to move around.
Tom

COBettaCouple
I have to ask - does that mean apple snails fart? :

Tom
I have to ask - does that mean apple snails fart? :
No, quit it with everything farting. It is just the air it inhales to breath and then swould naturally release it anyways to get new air.
Tom

Newtankdude
Er...I got a question....1: I thought apple snails were wiped out by those one birds
2: I didn't know apple snails could be in water

I'm sure apple snails were those snails that were wiped out here in Florida but I could be confusing them with another snail.

Tom
Er...I got a question....1: I thought apple snails were wiped out by those one birds
                                2: I didn't know apple snails could be in water

I'm sure apple snails were those snails that were wiped out here in Florida but I could be confusing them with another snail.
I think they were just wiped out in Florida by the Florida kite.
Tom

Newtankdude
YEA! THATS IT! The Florida kite, I allways forget the name...but as of apple snails, their not just in Florida?

Tom
YEA! THATS IT! The Florida kite, I allways forget the name...but as of apple snails, their not just in Florida?
I don't think so, or they were able to save a few before they were wiped out and now are being sold for aquariums.
Tom

griffin
they're actually banned from being mailed over state lines because they're messing up a lot of the ecosystem, esp in places like fl, where's it's warmer. or that's what I thought.

COBettaCouple
I've seen the apple snails for sale at a fish store in jacksonville.. good full-sized ones.

griffin
I think a lot of pet stores still sell them, but you need a permit to mail them over state lines, so most hobbyists don't do too much selling anymore. they can be really beautiful, especially the purple brigs.

Tom
I think a lot of pet stores still sell them, but you need a permit to mail them over state lines, so most hobbyists don't do too much selling anymore. they can be really beautiful, especially the purple brigs.
Here in Canada, they are almost everywhere you can buy fish.
Tom

griffin
they are in a lot of pet stores in the US too, I was just saying that it's getting less and less likely to get quality ones from a breeder since you need a permit to mail them over state lines now.

Tom
they are in a lot of pet stores in the US too, I was just saying that it's getting less and less likely to get quality ones from a breeder since you need a permit to  mail them over state lines now.
Ohhhh. Do you know if they need a permit to mail them from province-province or state-province.
Tom

griffin
Ohhhh. Do you know if they need a permit to mail them from province-province or state-province.
Tom

you mean like to canada from the us? i'm not sure exactly, but I think you need a permit. as for province-province, I have no idea, although I think it is less restricted.

Top Bottom