Apple snail first aid?

Discussion in 'Snails' started by Jayson, Apr 13, 2006.

1. JaysonNew MemberMember

I have two apple snails, and I'm hoping that they will breed; however, I've recently noticed that the youngest of the two snails has a massive crack at the lip of the opening of its shell. I'm aware that broken shells can be responsbale for snail death, but this particular crack doesn't appear to be life threatening.

So, how can I repair the crack?

In addition, the older snails shell appears to be waring out. Its gone from being golden yellow to whitish beige. I would think that snails have the capacity to repair there own shells, but should I be adding calcium or some other mineral to ensure that there is a adequate supply in the water for the snails to use?

Cheers, Jason ;)

2. Cookie MobstaNew MemberMember

Well with snails, they breed asexualy so it just takes one. Not sure about what you can do about the crack though.

3. JaysonNew MemberMember

Actually, the apple snail is indeed a hermaphrodite species, but I believe (someone please correct me if I'm mistaken) that they can only reproduce sexually...therefore they can't be both genders at the same time. Thanks for your post though.

cheers, Jason

4. Janmitch22Valued MemberMember

http://www.applesnail.net/

Hope you can help it

5. JaysonNew MemberMember

Thanks to Janmitch I realized that the apple snail is one of the few nonhermaphrodite snails. So, I retract my previous statement. Thus male and female apple snails exist. Now, I wonder if I have a male and a female!

nice site Janmitch

cheers, Jason

6. inariWell Known MemberMember

i guess it is kinda tough to check the pipe work isn't it ;) good luck with ur apple snails if ur living in the US it is now almost impossible to find snails especially apple snails

7. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

I had what looked like cracks across my Mystery Snails shells and what it was instead was a new area of shell forming, but the way you talk about it that sounds like you may have soft water and they need a calcium food.  I got Hikari Crab Cuisine and throw a few pellets in the tank every day for my Albinos Mystery Snails and they are forming nice hard shells. 

Hope this is helpful.  Welcome to fishlore.com.  I hope you are able to get the help you need and that your experience here is as pleasant as mine has been.  I have met some wonderful people here and consider them among the best friends I have on or offline.

Rose
    :)

8. BoxermomValued MemberMember

I know someone that superglued the crack on his snail. For added calcium, I've heard some say they give their snails cuttlebones to chew on.

9. inariWell Known MemberMember

boxermom are u serious someone superglued the crack that is hilarious sorry that is funny tho

10. BoxermomValued MemberMember

Yup. Also used on turtle shells. Superglue, once dry, is safe for use in aquariums or on decor (or, it seems, some critters).

11. inariWell Known MemberMember

well all i can say is was that person thinking who first tried it i'd be afraid of poisoning them

12. BoxermomValued MemberMember

Naw, it depends on the crack and how deep it goes. I wouldn't use it if any flesh was exposed, but as long as the crack is limited to the shell, I'd think it would be fine.

13. poefoxWell Known MemberMember

It would be dangerous for the flesh of an invertebrate but for the shell, why not? Superglue can be used on human wounds, after all.

14. chickadeeFishlore VIPMember

If there was some flesh exposed between the shell crack the snail may not be able to move out of positon when it is time to grow as I do not believe the super glue wears off that easily. So I can see where the idea of not putting it where flesh is exposed is a good one. Not because it is toxic but because the snail needs to be mobile inside his shell.

Rose
    :D

15. BoxermomValued MemberMember

That, plus if the skin is damaged, it stings like . :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice