Apple Snail Breeding - Count Me Confused!

BenjiBear

Ive had my 2 apple snails for around a month now and i kept them seperate from the beginning, not for any reason other than i was unsure of the sex and didnt want any surprise babies.

Since then, one of the snails named Salad had produced 3 (unfertile) clutches, very obviously dubbing her female.

My other snail laid nothing and i learned about sexing them and determined he was most likely a male.

Today I was finally ready to actually mate them and moved my male into Salad's tank. He is much larger than her and is golden while Salad has gold with a darker hint to her. This made them easily distinguishable.

However within 5 minutes or so, I found that Salad seemed to have mounted my male?? How is this possible?? I did a lot of research beforehand but everything i found said males always mount the female and end up on their right side which in a way is what is happening but im just about 100% convinced my snails are doing this the wrong way round??

Any ideas?? They've been mounted with no change for about 5 or 6 hours now if thats any help

Thanks!

Blacksheep1

maybe they are just .. figuring out what’s what ! Leave them together and see what transpires as you want them to breed anyway

BenjiBear

maybe they are just .. figuring out what’s what ! Leave them together and see what transpires as you want them to breed anyway

Seems like a good call!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• BenjiBear
  • Snails
Replies
Views
BenjiBear
Replies
Views
Miss
Replies
Views