Apple Snail "BigGuy" My version of Tortoise & the Hare!

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
This is "Big Guy" an Apple Snail I got from a Canadian breeder in June. He was about the size of a nickel when I got him.

No wonder I am hooked on these guys. His friend in the race is "Slim" a freebie Albino Bristlenose that I got with an Aquabid auction when he was a tiny wink!!

Big Guy is just under golf ball size now - enjoy!

Val

Speedy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Wow I have never seen an apple snail that big. I had one but was smaller then that but my angelfish killed it. He can also move pretty fast for a snail. He is cute also. Keep the videos coming. I love it. :;bananahey

rainman

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
LOL cute, he is about the same size as my snail "Mr. Giant" (he is the on in my avatar picture)

Darlene

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I love your snail, we have a golden one, Gary, that about that size. She is my husbands favorite thing in the tank.

Barbrella

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Haha! Look at him go! Love the little BN too, who looks like he's saying "Stop touching me!!!"

Very cute critters.

aecw

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
great video - we're hooked on snails also - they're so much fun to watch and they have such personalities!

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
great video - we're hooked on snails also - they're so much fun to watch and they have such personalities!

I agree, I bought my first one on implulse....now I have one in each of my 8 tanks! I am fascinated by them - and rest easy knowing if there is anything dead ( heaven usually forbid) in the tank that I can't find, they will!

Val

SkyCrystal

Valued Member
Reaction score
This is so cute! My eyes were glued to the screen the entire video. Aww, now I want an Apple Snail for my tank also! Were those Rainbowfish in the background? They were pretty. It looked like they were watching the entire thing like spectators! Lol! Beautiful pleco as well. The Apple Snail makes him look so small. Great video! :;pumpkin

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Are these snails carnivorous? Forgive me if that's an idiotic question, but OP said they could find any (unfortunately) dead fish in the tank.

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Are these snails carnivorous? Forgive me if that's an idiotic question, but OP said they could find any (unfortunately) dead fish in the tank.
From my experience, and I could be wrong, the apple snails are omnivores...they really LOVE cukes; zuchinnis when I put them into the tanks. They devour seemingly anything that hits the bottom of the tank - I have seen them hurry (lol) to sit right on top of a veggie round; algae disc or shrimp pellet before the fish get to it. But if a fish dies in the tank, they help devour it also. ( found them eating a dead oto in my fry tank!:-[)

One of my very small apples died, and I found it on the bottom of the betta tank, covered with malaysian trumpet snails. When I pulled it out, the apple snail shell was completely empty!!! They cleaned it totally out. So that would make them almost cannibals..

So ya know when a fish mysteriously disappers, as if taken by aliens, I feel better knowing that usually the snails will clean it up before it makes the water cruddy and increases the nitrates.

I have found, however it is a delicate balance between overfeeding and making sure that all species are getting enough food when you have a tank of mixed fish. So having said all that, I believe the benefits outweigh the negatives ( hmmm, don't think I mentioned any negatives). The snails are way more interesting and fun to watch than most would assume!! Thanks for your interest!

Val

Je55*e

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
That's very informative and helpful. I'm going to be picking some snails up when the new tank's ready, then. ^_^
Thanks, Val!

voiceless_kat

Well Known Member
Reaction score
That's very informative and helpful. I'm going to be picking some snails up when the new tank's ready, then. ^_^
Thanks, Val!
You are welcome. You will have fun with snails when you get them. Remember if you have to be very careful if you have more than one in a tank. I know there is a way to sex them, but I haven't mastered yet. Apple snails will lay their eggs out of water if you have mixed sexes. So you will have to watch for egg clusters at the waters surface on the tank walls. If you find them, just wipe them off with a cloth and you will be fine. ( Well unless you want a whole bunch of them ). I have 2 tanks with 2 snails in and haven't found eggs yet, but I watch very closely.

Good luck, I hope you post when you get them and let me know how fun they are!!

Val

PepsiGirl71

Valued Member
Reaction score
Pardon my ingnorance, but I thought snails were a pest? When I was a kid my parents wouldn't let me have one, they said the snail would multiply even by itself. Ah man, don't tell me after all of these years my parents were just messing with me? I loved that video and thought it gave interest to the tank. Off to research snails now! LOL!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom